Lab building

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
JohnFP

Lab building

Post by JohnFP »

No problem Christiano, I was just wondering. I fully respect that and meant no disrespect. You have contributed greatly to this forum and I appreciate it greatly. Molto spiacente. Ciao amico.
Sergio

Lab building

Post by Sergio »

Cristiano_Perrucci wrote:
Sergio wrote: Will you release the formulation/method as a free source?, one idea is make it openformulation to every body improve but not sell it.

The quality is really impressive.
Hi Sergio,
I'm not sure to be ready for sharing methods and formulas. I'm trying to explain my point of view.
I actually spent most of my spare time and a lot money to make experiments and researches; tons of silver nitrate apart, you know how expensive dyes and organic chemicals are, also you have to know that I don't have access to University or specific Labs so when I need a chemical for my experiments I must must buy a whole package + vendor charge + shipment costs + taxes so the final costs are form a minimum of 50-60 euros for tens of grams of a cheap chemical (eg. Glyoxal) up to over 180Euros for haf a gram of Dye (eg 1,1'-Diethyl-2,2'-cyanine iodide).

Now the second part of the comedy.

We all know on the web there are ticks, bloodsuckers, vultures and other nice creatures; fortunally among these figures there are many good guy as the most members of this Forum are. I don't feel ashamed to say I'm scared thinking about my emulsion formulas in the wrong hands.

Please accept my apologies if this time I don't publish my findings as I usually do but silver halides are still too appetizing for professional emulsions manufactures.

Cristiano
Cristiano thank you for share your thoughts with us. Although you use the "open" Jeff formulation (I guess so) your procedure method etc is relative to your own effort, so is clear that you can process it at the way you like. Interesting, you may even associate with one University or company to get your emulsion coated on glass or films, since the emulsion high quality machine coating is the key point for you, for increasing sales rates.

Keep this good working on.

Sergio.
Cristiano_Perrucci

Lab building

Post by Cristiano_Perrucci »

Sergio wrote:Cristiano thank you for share your thoughts with us. Although you use the "open" Jeff formulation (I guess so) your procedure method etc is relative to your own effort, so is clear that you can process it at the way you like. Interesting, you may even associate with one University or company to get your emulsion coated on glass or films, since the emulsion high quality machine coating is the key point for you, for increasing sales rates.

Keep this good working on.

Sergio.
Hi Sergio,
referring to the formulation, I'm sorry to say you are wrong. My plates are made with a finished emulsion prepared reacting Silver and Halides in melted gelatin and then coated on glass, so there isn't any relation with the Jeff's diffusion method. Diffusion method is a excellent starting point for DIY but not applicable if you want to get repeteable results and tens of plates free of defects.

Speaking about University, company and sales rate, my thoughts are:

University: in Italy i think no one is interested in this kind of research.

Company: if I give them the formula, they probably will sell the plates at the current price of all holographic materials, on the other hands coating quality is already good enugh for most holographic works.

Sales rates: nowadays I'm not interested in increasing sales. I'm satisfied to sell a few plates from time to time just to finance my hobby.
arturo

Lab building

Post by arturo »

Cristiano,

I have looking at your page with your great examples... just a suggestion... you could provide higher resolution photos of your holograms, they are a beauty to behold, and deserve good public exposure!

On another note, I was wondering what is your "pret-a-porter" table made of, and how much it weighs?

Thanks, Arturo.
Cristiano_Perrucci

Lab building

arturo wrote:Cristiano,

I have looking at your page with your great examples... just a suggestion... you could provide higher resolution photos of your holograms, they are a beauty to behold, and deserve good public exposure!

On another note, I was wondering what is your "pret-a-porter" table made of, and how much it weighs?

Thanks, Arturo.

Hi Arturo,
I will update the site as soon as I find a bit of time.

The table is wood box filled with sand, on the top of the sand is a 4mm thick steel plate glued and screwed to a plywood one. As usual the whole assembly floats on 4 inner tubes.

The weight of the bench is around 200kg.
arturo

Lab building

Post by arturo »

Thanks for the details, Cristinao... now 200kg isn't very portable! :wink:
Cristiano_Perrucci

Lab building

arturo wrote:Thanks for the details, Cristinao... now 200kg isn't very portable! :wink:
Arturo, I disagree with you :naughty:

200Kg are only 10 bags filled with 20Kg of sand! The bench can be transported by car and mounted/unmonted in less than a hour. This is the most flexible solution I've ever experienced. :wall:

Do you have a more functional solution? :)
arturo

Lab building

Post by arturo »

Cristiano_Perrucci wrote:
arturo wrote:Thanks for the details, Cristinao... now 200kg isn't very portable! :wink:
Do you have a more functional solution? :)
You can bet I don't!!!! :oops:
dave battin

Lab building

Post by dave battin »

Hello Arturo , i would like to recommend you to buy/make the largest marble or stone or cement slab you can afford. I have several ive collected over the years. a 50 x50 cm stone slab that is minimum 3cms thick will do nice. You can do lots with this slab, doing laser "off table" holography to begin with ,this will be easy to do w/one beam holography and eventually work your way to do h1-h2 transfers. If you are still interested in advancing you holograms at :naughty: that point, you will now need a larger table, this slab can be used as a platform on your new larger table ,as in my set up using a 13" collimating mirror it sits on this slab elevated 15cm and it then sends this collimated beam to the over head mirror pictured above. Then later on when you decide to give holography up ,you will have a nice coffee table top to remember how much time and money this hobby cost you ! :lol:
arturo

Lab building

Post by arturo »

dave battin wrote:Hello Arturo , i would like to recommend you to buy/make the largest marble or stone or cement slab you can afford.
Hi Dave, thanks for the tips! My largest limitation as of today is that I do not have a place to permanently set a lab, so I need something I can dismantle easily, this is a "small" sandbox or slab as you suggest on a inner tube...