3d hologram of person

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
brown

3d hologram of person

Post by brown »

Hi,
Please help me to clear my cosfusion. I am trying to self-study holography, so is it posible to project a 3d hologram image of person.

Thanks alot,

James
Colin Kaminski

3d hologram of person

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Yes, depending on your definition of project. You must be looking into the film to see an image. This is very important. You can not have an image over any surface that in not the film.
DigiFlash

3d hologram of person

Post by DigiFlash »

I think it should also be mentioned that it depends on the definition of 3d and hologram as well.
I believe, Colin, you use hologram in the strict definition, which is not necessarily the case for James.

These days, even below this same post there's a google ad about 3d h o l o g r a m, which does project the image of the person or object.
The image does not have depth, even though there are some aspects of 3d, i.e. positioning in space.
Neither it is hologram, even though it is advertised as such.

This technology is called Pepper's Ghost and comes from 19'th century, I believe. And it is as close to StarWars as it gets for now..

And CNN is just a video processing Fake.. so it is not any better than making it post processing in the movies like StarWars..
just somehow CNN :liar: "was" trusted before, so a lot of people believed that it is real, and people in the studio see the "hologram" :naughty:

As far as the real holograms, they can also have no black backing. And viewing can be done through the hologram a bit in a Ghostly way..
holo_cyware

3d hologram of person

Post by holo_cyware »

I recently saw a documentary on National Geographic (made in 2009); it was about the fireworks but they also had a look into what the future of the fireworks may look like.

Well, a team of japonese reseachers managed to create a system able to project laser-made shapes in midair, with no support at all. They looked like the ones made by cheap lasershow systems, and the laser seemed to be an HeAr ion one (light blue).

This may be of an importance to a projected hologram, but I can't see how it coud be made.

Think: if one is able to focus laser beams so they create very visible dots in the air, in any given xyz coordinate, then creating an object could be possible. Something like the figures made into crystal glass (small cracks inside the glass). Providing enough resolution is achieved, then the starwars Leia hologram could be possible indeed. But it won't be a hologram anymore, but a real "3d animated laser projection".

Maybe in some 10 years a prototipe will be released. Single color.
In 25-30 years the first interactive "projections" will be used for communication. In full color!

Oh well...
DigiFlash

3d hologram of person

Post by DigiFlash »

I'm sure with time, some technologies will emerge, which will be able to do that kind of projection, one idea that comes to mind is some kind of air ionization, plasma or whatever they call it, another, of course, just sharp focusing of the beam, powerful enough that scattered light is visible in all directions... not sure it will ever work for fireworks.. Unless projected to the clouds, or specifically created fog layer...

But regarding the communication tools, my personal opinion it is just a gimmick. Would you prefer to have that jumpy, bluish, kinda 3d image instead of crystal clear, energy efficient true color LCD screen to display the face of the person you talk to? Well, you might, though not every day :D
But what about the sending part? Instead of single point camera, now you need to somehow capture all around 3d... hmmm... that system does not fit into the cell phone, I guess.

I would imagine, the best compromise for quite some time will be stereoscopic capture (two cameras at the sides of the phone) and 3d displays, hopefully without glasses.. For one viewer experience it will be just enough...

Before all that gets any closer to reality, we need to get the phones to work for video conversations...routinely...
DJ Mathson

3d hologram of person

Post by DJ Mathson »

holo_cyware wrote:Think: if one is able to focus laser beams so they create very visible dots in the air, in any given xyz coordinate, then creating an object could be possible. Something like the figures made into crystal glass (small cracks inside the glass). Providing enough resolution is achieved, then the starwars Leia hologram could be possible indeed. But it won't be a hologram anymore, but a real "3d animated laser projection".

It´s already in the works, though still very crude.

See paper here:
http://www.hvrl.ics.keio.ac.jp/paper/pd ... hiroyo.pdf

Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He2QTpelAjE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeqIZyUMDP4

Further discussion here:
http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/sho ... laser-show

http://holography.ning.com/forum/topics ... e=activity
DigiFlash

3d hologram of person

Post by DigiFlash »

Thanks for the links, yep, that's the one I saw some time ago... I wonder if they advanced it anyhow...
Anyone can/wants to estimate the energy per pulse to create the optical breakdown and the best wavelength for that?

At the distance they use... assuming some reasonable lens..
The distance seems to be not less than 1m away from any optics.

They mention 0.2sec after-light and 200 points simultaneously which comes down to 1000Hz
The sound in the the Video should be unavoidable if they are doing what they say they do...
I wonder if you can smell this "hologram" :) ?
Colin Kaminski

3d hologram of person

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Also try searching for volumetric displays. There is some very cool ideas that are not holography.