Gelatin Question

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
Dutchelm05

Gelatin Question

Post by Dutchelm05 »

I have a questing regarding gelatin.
If I have a 300 bloom Gelatin and mix it with a 200 bloom gelatin (equally), do I have a 250 bloom gelatin? Or is some parts 300 and other 200?

Thanks,
Tony
Tom B.

Gelatin Question

Post by Tom B. »

Gelatin is a really hairy organic mishmosh and Bloom is only an approximate measurement. That being said, the least surprising result would be
that the mixture would be somewhere in between 200 and 300 and, since there is likely no drastic structural difference for the two strengths,
the transition from 200 to 300 would be smooth.
Dutchelm05

Gelatin Question

Post by Dutchelm05 »

Thanks Tom,
I called the guy from Gelita the other day. He said that if you had two blooms like that it would be pretty much in between but a bit lower in bloom. So 300 and 200 would be about 240ish. He alos said they would blend well.

Tony
dave battin

Gelatin Question

Post by dave battin »

hi Tony ,can you tell us the differences you have seen/experienced using the 300 vrs 225 bloom (Knox brand)? i have heard other "pro" dcg's mix the bloom strengths ......... what do you get if only using the 300 bloom strength? it feels nice to be back in the DCG saddle again too !
Dutchelm05

Gelatin Question

Post by Dutchelm05 »

Hey Dave,
I do not have 300 bloom gel rather 279. I used those numbers for an easy mathamatical example.

The biggest difference is it is very hard to obtain broadband results using higher bloom. Knox is much easier. Narrowband is easier with the higher bloom. I do like the higher bloom to obtain that yellow gold look.

I have some other bloom strengths that are samples and wanted to see if by mixing them if I can change the bloom strength, I guess the answer is yes.

Look forward to seeing more work from you Dave!

T
dave battin

Gelatin Question

Post by dave battin »

thanks Tony. ive just ordered some 300 bloom gelatin and will arrive shortly.so in my searches i came across a number of photographic threads about the ability to mix blooms together, also ive read about adding "thymol" to the gelatin to resist decay. it can be in alch or in water, Photographers Formula has the stuff for$44 plus haz-shipping too($35), i will check the local aroma-therapy store to see if they carry it in a water or oil based fluid ...................
Dutchelm05

Gelatin Question

Post by Dutchelm05 »

Interesting Dave,
Any reason why you are trying 300 bloom?
Is there an effect you are try to achieve?
I am getting some 225 bloom and 279 bloom, if you have a need for either feel free to ask.

Tony
dave battin

Gelatin Question

Post by dave battin »

Dutchelm05 wrote:Interesting Dave,
Any reason why you are trying 300 bloom?
Is there an effect you are try to achieve?
I am getting some 225 bloom and 279 bloom, if you have a need for either feel free to ask.

Tony
In the never ending effort to acheive the perfect dcg master, using knox gel, it seems a little soft requiring much hardening. i think starting off a little harder will only help my end result... i realise 300 bloom is on the high end so with the ability to inter mix the the blooms ,this will allow full range of the bloom index.
Dutchelm05

Gelatin Question

Post by Dutchelm05 »

dave battin wrote:In the never ending effort to acheive the perfect dcg master, using knox gel, it seems a little soft requiring much hardening. i think starting off a little harder will only help my end result... i realise 300 bloom is on the high end so with the ability to inter mix the the blooms ,this will allow full range of the bloom index.
I think you are on the right track Dave. Knox is better for broadband since it is nice and springy.
I will leave my offer to send you some 279 bloom gel. I have had pretty good luck in making DCG masters using it.
dave battin

Gelatin Question

Post by dave battin »

Dutchelm05 wrote:I think you are on the right track Dave. Knox is better for broadband since it is nice and springy.
I will leave my offer to send you some 279 bloom gel. I have had pretty good luck in making DCG masters using it.
Thanks for the offer Tony! I finally got my hands on some 300 bloom gel and i was able to do a comparison test to see how they work.

i made two 50ml bottles of gelatin, one 300 bloom ,one 200 bloom ,heated both and made some 200,250 and 300 bloom
index (or BI) plates, The outcome, the 300 BI plate came out aqua blue (im shooting@532nm), the 250 BI plate was very close match to 532nm (for mastering) and the control 200 BI plate(knox) came out gold-green as usual. The interesting thing was the blue color in the 300 BI plate, to get blue in dcg (again shooting at 532nm) is a bonus, as normally to achieve this i would need to reprocess at least this plate twice and also keep my fingers crossed ! :wall:

this dcg hologram was made with the Dip-N-Shoot method .........

Tony if this was shot w/your blue ,it would replay in purple!
Attachments
blue DCG
blue DCG
bluedcg.JPG (209.43 KiB) Viewed 2444 times