Rabbit Holes

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
DigiFlash

Rabbit Holes

Post by DigiFlash »

BobH wrote:I'm really disappointed to hear that. ...
Pumping more light into a dim hologram is no solution. ...
Sorry to have you disappointed. I hope we will live up to your expectations one day.
Well, lighting the hologram properly is part of the solution, right?
It might be different from the holograms you are used to. Can you send some links to the photos or better videos of your holograms to get the proper reference points?
I find it hard to believe that the cell-camera holograms you have mentioned recently were much brighter, but everything is possible.

By the way, we did not advertise that it is as bright as DCG or anything else for that matter.
I have seen darker analog holograms for sure, and I have seen brighter analog holograms.
Single color holograms have some advantage as far as the contrast, burn etc.
Some of our holograms are bright because they use better choice of colors, contrast etc.
But we do not always have control over that.
We have real videos of the real holograms online and they look much more impressive first hand,
so if they appear different elsewhere, normally there's a reason other than the hologram itself.
Kaveh

Rabbit Holes

Post by Kaveh »

Let's give a round of applause to Rabbitholes for discussing the details of their holograms in a public forum. Can you imagine any of the other self-important companies making a comment here and engaging in a discussion?
zipsister

Rabbit Holes

Post by zipsister »

Saw some examples of Rabbitholes holograms at the recent ISDH conference courtesy of Mike Page and I was very impressed with both the brightness and overall quality of the works. Might try to get them to do some for me one day when I save up the required coinage.
Dave
BobH

Rabbit Holes

Post by BobH »

DigiFlash wrote:Bob, please let me know your impressions when you see the hologram with supplied lighting, it would be easier to understand what is the problem.
Anyone have come up with objective evaluation of brightness of the holograms?
Some of our conclusions from measurements with Lux-meter on the holograms in our videos etc.:
Rabbitholes wrote:It was observed that absolute minimum ratio to preserve between hologram lighting and ambient lighting illuminance on the surface of the hologram is around 5, but it is better to have ratio of 10 (Most of the images in RH Gallery with main lights on comply to that).
I looked at the installation instructions on your site for the small sample holograms, and see you recommend 50W or 75W MR-16 lamps from about 18" away. I've not had to use a 50W MR-16 to adequately light a hologram for well over 20 years. Even back then, 50W at that distance would certainly over light the frame and wall and cook the black-backed hologram.

Also, the videos I've seen of your work show vivid clear colors. The sample I saw did not. It has greyish muddy colors. The only pieces of clear color are in the R, G and B logo spots along the bottom. That's why my reaction here is so strong. After seeing the videos, I had high expectations. When I first saw the hologram, I thought it must be a "sample" because it was rejected because of the extreme dimness. Tony's pointing out the word "sample" put that to rest.

I can't compare your holograms to anybody elses in my collection. Perhaps I'll buy a similarly sized hologram from Geola to compare it with. Is there a RabbitHoles hologram on display somewhere else in the San Francisco bay area I can go see?
Dutchelm05

Rabbit Holes

Post by Dutchelm05 »

BobH wrote:DigiFlash wrote:
Bob, please let me know your impressions when you see the hologram with supplied lighting,
I can say seeing both lighting (Bob's and the one you provided) was no different in brightness. Even with one of Bob's extremely bright lights it was pretty dim.

In all fairness, Roman has asked for photo's which I provided and he has been great in trying to determine if this hologram meets their standards or if there is something incorrect about the way I lit the hologram. I appreciate his due diligence and attending to a small fish.

Bob, thank you for looking after my best interest, I really appreciate it. Look forward to another visit soon!

Tony
john kaufman

Rabbit Holes

Post by john kaufman »

It seems to me that Ton'ys problem with his dim hologram could be solved with some personalized customer relations. Let him return the piece, see if it is dimmer that normal, and send him a brighter one or refund his money.

As to the grafitti problem, I do not see a way to have a limited edition and an identical open edition. One needs to significantly alter the format (crop the image more than just a little). I have seen lithographs in limited editions with large margins and the same image in an open edition with no margins. And I have also seen offset posters of work that may have originally been from a limited edition. It probably would not be acceptable to sell a dim second as an open edition; seconds of limited editons should either be destroyed or should never leave the studio.

One person's opinion.