Rabbit Holes

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
Dutchelm05

Rabbit Holes

Post by Dutchelm05 »

Recently I bought a sample hologram from Rabbit Holes (My chrismas gift :angel:
It was called Animation Mother by Meats Meier http://www.rabbitholes.com/order-samples/
I wanted to comment on it since I know the Rabbit Hole guys visit the forum once in a while.
I brought it over Bob's house last Thursday and I hope he comments on it since he is much more technical then I am.

First I have to say that the guys at Rabbit Holes are great. They responded to my questions and were helpful.
I choose the lighting system they provide to ensure the best set up.
It took a couple of weeks to get and was very easy to set up.
It was framed very nicely and the lighting system was easy to set up.

Second I have to say the hologram is an artistic master piece IMO. A mix between art and technical know how is really awesome. I have spend hours looking at it and proudly displayed it in my family room. Everyone who visits thinks it is amazing.
If there is a down side, the hologram is not super bright (certainly no DCG) and somewhat grainy. Perhaps this is due to it being a sample. But even still, it is a remarkable piece which engages the viewer.
Overall I am very happy with it and hope to buy another (maybe next chrismas).

Tony
Kaveh

Rabbit Holes

Post by Kaveh »

I think they are the best in Integral holography, but don't like the cheesy subject matter much on the page you linked to...
Dutchelm05

Rabbit Holes

Post by Dutchelm05 »

Kaveh wrote:but don't like the cheesy subject matter much on the page you linked to...
I must really like cheese :wink:
DigiFlash

Rabbit Holes

Post by DigiFlash »

Hi, and thanks for all the good words! :)

It's double pleasure to hear these words from holographer.

As for the graininess, which in this case I guess better to call pixelization?, that is not a function of being sample, but rather being small hologram with relatively big pixel size.
Obviously, our technology is more optimized for sizes 0.5m and up, when the pixel is much less noticeable. But maybe you mean something else?

As for the cheesy subjects... well, I'm trying to avoid criticizing the artistic views of our clients, some creatives are better than others.
Hologram or 3D will not make a cheesy 3d model into a masterpiece..
And one advantage of digital holography is that we can be quite detached from creative side of it... :D
But I find it hard to believe that all of our samples both on the mentioned page or in the demo page on Youtube are cheesy...

By the way, there's new video explaining a bit the process and showing the holographic printer and
hologram creation process.. http://www.rabbitholes.com/creating-rab ... -hologram/
I would love to hear some feedback! I was working on this video with your forum in mind!
BobH

Rabbit Holes

Post by BobH »

I've been really impressed with the high quality of the Rabbit hole holograms presented in the videos on their web site and other places. The sample Tony brought over to show me, however, was nowhere near the same quality. Sorry, but Tony's a real nice guy and I'm a critical bastard as many know, and this is the truth. Rabbit Holes should send him one of their absolute best samples of "Animation Mother", preferably without the word and logo in the image (I guarantee HE isn't going to pass it off as his work), because he's someone who LOVES holograms. C'mon guys, I KNOW you do better! :shock: :?
DigiFlash

Rabbit Holes

Post by DigiFlash »

BobH wrote:I've been really impressed with the high quality of the Rabbit hole holograms presented in the videos on their web site and other places. The sample Tony brought over to show me, however, was nowhere near the same quality. Sorry, but Tony's a real nice guy and I'm a critical bastard as many know, and this is the truth. Rabbit Holes should send him one of their absolute best samples of "Animation Mother", preferably without the word and logo in the image (I guarantee HE isn't going to pass it off as his work), because he's someone who LOVES holograms. C'mon guys, I KNOW you do better! :shock: :?
so called corporate graffity is used to distinguish the limited edition prints from samples. And I agree that sometimes, when sample is bought instead of Limited edition piece it can be frustrating... If that is the main problem.. well, we pay royalties to Artists if it is Limited Editions, so prints are more expensive.
They are 400$ instead of 250 for pretty much the same print with frame and light, except the logo.. We do not include it on advertising or other samples, only on the pieces which are also available as Limiter Edition prints.

Believe me, it has nothing to do with passing it off as someones' else's work...

Now, I would like to hear all other concerns regarding quality. If this hologram was really not representative of the quality of the holograms by rabbitholes, which you might have seen elsewhere, I'm very interested in hearing all possible details and possibly fixing the situation.
Dutchelm05

Rabbit Holes

Post by Dutchelm05 »

I have no reference on weather this is the same quality hologram as anything else you produce.
If they are generally dim, then so be it, that is the medium that is used.
I knew going in this was a "sample" so I get that part.
As I said, Bob is a better person to say weather this is a good hologram then I, but I do like the piece as an artwork.

Is there anyway to know weather is hologram that was sent is of reasonable quality that you normally make?

Thanks,
Tony
BobH

Rabbit Holes

Post by BobH »

I understand the deal with artists who supply you with content, but defacing their work to avoid royalties is not, in my opinion, in their best interest. If it was mine, I'd cut the bottom off and live with a cropping of his composition. I don't mean to offend, it's just my individual opinion. I'd certainly like to see much more discussion, including those artists using your service, regarding this issue.

As for the brightness of this particular hologram, I can only say that it's the dimmest hologram I've seen in 20 years. Seriously. It's so dim that in a totally black room, with a 35W MR-11 lamp 18" away, the veiling image of the viewer (lit only by the glare off the white wall around the hologram) easily competes with the image. It's so dim it makes GW Bush look like a genius.

I don't want to be trashing your company because I really, really hope you succeed. I love holography. How about you send Tony a replacement representing the brightest you can make so we can compare them. If it's significantly brighter, I'll loudly recant all I've said here and at the Ning. If they're not, you guys are doomed. Here's the link: http://holography.ning.com/group/inthelab
DigiFlash

Rabbit Holes

Post by DigiFlash »

Tony, your hologram was not a bad quality or otherwise inferior to our normal production.

Some holograms are less bright, some more bright, there's possible slight variations in time, but it mostly depends on the content.
Besides, the environmental conditions affect the emulsion, and wavelength shift can change apparent brightness and color.
BobH wrote:I understand the deal with artists who supply you with content, but defacing their work to avoid royalties is not, in my opinion, in their best interest. If it was mine, I'd cut the bottom off and live with a cropping of his composition. I don't mean to offend, it's just my individual opinion. I'd certainly like to see much more discussion, including those artists using your service, regarding this issue.
Definitely would like to see more discussion happening. I do not necessarily agree with this approach personally. But we as a holographic company need some cheaper way to demo the hologram to remote clients, which plan to create their own hologram or order one from us. And artistic holograms are the best examples we have. It is assumed that because of the "Sample" marking they will be used only as such, not to hang it on the wall.
BobH wrote:As for the brightness of this particular hologram, I can only say that it's the dimmest hologram I've seen in 20 years. Seriously. It's so dim that in a totally black room, with a 35W MR-11 lamp 18" away, the veiling image of the viewer (lit only by the glare off the white wall around the hologram) easily competes with the image.
Bob, please let me know your impressions when you see the hologram with supplied lighting, it would be easier to understand what is the problem.
Anyone have come up with objective evaluation of brightness of the holograms?
Some of our conclusions from measurements with Lux-meter on the holograms in our videos etc.:
Rabbitholes wrote:It was observed that absolute minimum ratio to preserve between hologram lighting and ambient lighting illuminance on the surface of the hologram is around 5, but it is better to have ratio of 10 (Most of the images in RH Gallery with main lights on comply to that).
BobH

Rabbit Holes

Post by BobH »

DigiFlash wrote:Tony, your hologram was not a bad quality or otherwise inferior to our normal production.

Some holograms are less bright, some more bright, there's possible slight variations in time, but it mostly depends on the content.
Besides, the environmental conditions affect the emulsion, and wavelength shift can change apparent brightness and color.
I'm really disappointed to hear that. :shock: :? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Pumping more light into a dim hologram is no solution. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: