HoloFax Holographic 'Camera'

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
Jem

Post by Jem »

Hi all

Following on from this topic on holography.ning.com ...

http://holography.ning.com/profiles/blo ... fax-camera

I contacted Jonathan and he gave me the sellers details. Anyway, suffice to say I contacted the seller and we struck a deal, I went to collect the 'Camera' yesterday.

It had been in storage since the mid-eighties and was suffering from having years of dust on the internal optics. However, after a bit of a clean down it appears to be a very nice little unit. The laser works and the optics were nearly in alignment, I guess the laser is putting out around the 5mW as is shown on the data sheet for this model. If anyone has an instruction manual for this unit i'd be most grateful.

I've not made any holograms with it yet, so i'm not sure how easy that will be, but all the signs are that this should be a great little unit for easily demonstrating how to make holograms.

Pictures are here...

http://s660.photobucket.com/albums/uu32 ... m/Holocam/

Whilst I was collecting this unit I also managed to strike a deal on some 'Light Fantastic' holograms that the seller had used for exhibition purposes. These initially appeared to be in a pretty poor state, however, once I got them home and stripped them out of the frame mountings they seem to be cleaning up pretty well. I'll try to get some photo's up once i've got them all cleaned and re-framed.

Cheers

Jem
Jem

Post by Jem »

The first hologram made with the Holocam (please excuse my photography skills)...

O.K., pretty unimaginative subject matter, but hey, coins are tried, tested and reliable for a first attempt.

Oh, and the laser in the Holocam is a HeNe outputting 6.25mW at 632.8nm. The reason the holograms look a little greenish is due to a 1 minute soak in 10% TEA solution prior to exposure.

Cheers

Jem
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

Very nice JEM, what film and processing did you use ? its really great to see this dinosaur still working !
Jem

Post by Jem »

Hi Dave

I used a BB640 5" x 4" glass plate from Colourholographic, it's all I have available at the moment as I'm mainly working with my green 532-200 nowadays.

For processing I used a Pyrogallol/Sodium Carbonate developer & EDTA bleach. I also did a pre-soak in 10% TEA solution for ~1 minute to sensitise the emulsion as the plates are a couple of years old.

I need to get some film to use with this unit as glass plates are complete overkill. Any suggestions as to what's a good film to use?

The simplicity of the Holocam and the thought that went into the design is just beautiful. I'm looking forward to doing a public demo with it soon. Maybe for the local school, I'd love to be able to motivate kids to get more interested in science.

Cheers

Jem
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

Jem

Post by Jem »

Hi Dave

PM sent :wink: