What Film to buy ???

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
smirholo

What Film to buy ???

Post by smirholo »

Hello
Konrad , Martin, Ed Wesly and others
Any news about my film ? Soon I shall do VE445
Valery.
Tom B.

What Film to buy ???

Post by Tom B. »

Re safe developers, I have had very good results for reflection plates including CHG with the standard metol/ascorbic acid recipe as described here:
http://www.holokits.com/jd-4_holography_developer.htm

This works well for me with the ferric EDTA bleach that you use. It's my standard brew, and I consider the small amounts of metol used in the developer as quite within the bounds of reasonable safety concerns .

Re film, don't know of any good sources on triacetate film (non-polarization-sensitive) since the last triacetate film base factory on Earth shut down a couple of years ago. (As Far As I Know)
Martin

What Film to buy ???

Post by Martin »

Tom B. wrote:Re film, don't know of any good sources on triacetate film (non-polarization-sensitive) since the last triacetate film base factory on Earth shut down a couple of years ago. (As Far As I Know)
There must still be a few TAC producers around, e.g. http://www.islandgroup.com/tac/photogra ... m_base.php
Martin

What Film to buy ???

Post by Martin »

smirholo wrote:Hello
Konrad , Martin, Ed Wesly and others
Any news about my film ? Soon I shall do VE445
Valery.
Hi Valery,
I very much liked your green sensitive emulsion (the red sensitive one appeared to be a bit slow though). Very clean, low noise holograms can be produced both by colloidal development and "normal" processing. Grain size may be around that of the PFG-03 emulsions. At the same time it must be mentioned that the layer of these new films are strongly hardened. So squeegeeing doesn't cause any problems.
Interestingly, these films are available on a polyester film substrate called LATVAN, similar to PET (TAC films are availabe on request). At the Brewster angle its birefringence effects were surprisingly low. Unlike TAC they practically don't absorb any water. That's why water or water solutions with glycerol and alike can be used for lamination during recording.
For these reasons, the emulsion can even be made to record holograms in wet state. Large wavelength shifts can be obtained by exposing a partially wet emulsion: holograms I had exposed at 660nm were viewable with the 405nm Bluray laser diode. Unfortunately I was unable to get full color control using different water/alcohol ratios (as I used to do with the old Agfa 8E75 films, coated on a polyester substrate). More research in that area may be necessary.
smirholo

What Film to buy ???

Post by smirholo »

Re film, don't know of any good sources on triacetate film (non-polarization-sensitive) since the last triacetate film base factory on Earth shut down a couple of years ago. (As Far As I Know)
If much it is necessary I can do this film on TAC base by thickness 120 microns. No Problems... :angel:

Thank you.
Valery.
Tom B.

What Film to buy ???

Post by Tom B. »

Good to hear triacetate film base is still around. I perhaps unintentionally exaggerated the scale of its demise.

In other news, units of the legendary obsolete economic commodity - buggy whips - are still available here: http://westfieldwhip.com/carriage.html
No online ordering, alas. What a bunch of dinosaurs :)