What Film to buy ???

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
Jem

What Film to buy ???

Post by Jem »

Hi all

I recently bought a 1980's Holocam (see other post).

I'm currently trying to organise to take this into my local school to demonstrate to the kids how to make holograms as part of their science studies, if this works out I intend to offer my services to other schools. It would be great to inspire young kids and i'm sure they would be enthusiastic about making their own holograms.

The issues that needs to be addressed are cost and health and safety. I want to give the kids a good experience and I want them to be able to keep the holograms they make, for this I need a film (and developing/bleaching solution) that will produce good bright results so they can actually go away with something meaningful.

Obviously there are going to be chemicals involved and I need these to be as safe as possible, so any suggestions as to a good reasonably priced film and a safe developing/bleaching solution would be gratefully received.

For my home use I use BB plates from Colourholographic. These give great results but are simply too expensive to use for the schools project, plus I use a Pyro/Sodium Carbonate Dev' and EDTA bleach, i'm hoping to find something safer for the schools project :wink:

I've ordered some Litiholo 'Instant Hologram' film (when it eventually arrives :roll: ) as this doesn't require processing. However, i'm not sure how bright the resulting holograms will be. This seems like an ideal solution as no developing is involved. Having said that, I think that the developing / bleaching process is an important one that can teach the kids something about chemistry etc.

So, I have a problem and if anyone can perhaps make suggestions as to which direction I should be looking I would be most grateful.

I need cheap, safe and good results... Surely that's not too much to ask... Is it? :D

Cheers

Jem
smirholo

What Film to buy ???

Post by smirholo »

Dear Jem.

I am specialized in the production of coated films for holography. The
standard thickness of these films is 175 micron.
The film has the following technical characteristics:

The emulsions (coating) is based on Lavsan.(PET)
Sensitivity - 633 nm or 532 nm (max)

There is two types to emulsions:
1.VE633, VE532 for reflection holograms and transmitting > 5000
lines. (Denisuk) works without bleach
2.VES633,VES532 for transmitting holograms and reflection >3000 lines.

All films are delivered in rolls with standard width of 12cm, 18cm or
25cm.

I trust that this information is helpful. If you need more information
you can contact me at any time under: e-mail: smirhol@mail.ru

Kind regards,
Valery Smirnov
dave battin

What Film to buy ???

Post by dave battin »

Hi Jem, check you Messages ....quote on film sent

hi Valery, can we see some images made on your film and how about prices as well ? thanks
smirholo

What Film to buy ???

Post by smirholo »

See , site of our canadian partner. ...http://www.holograms.bc.ca/econo.htm - http://www.holograms.bc.ca/adult-holograms.htm , This is too my work...http://rethinkcommunications.com/rethin ... -for-gramm... All holograms are made in my laboratory and on film VE633
Valery.
dave battin

What Film to buy ???

Post by dave battin »

all i see are old stero-grams of nudes, where was the price for the film listed? ................
smirholo

What Film to buy ???

Post by smirholo »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyzgA1mpVQ4
For the sample I can send you a film free and you must to pay only postal sending.
Approximate cost per square metre - 50 euro

Valery
Cristiano_Perrucci

What Film to buy ???

Post by Cristiano_Perrucci »

Jem wrote:I need cheap, safe and good results... Surely that's not too much to ask... Is it? :D
Hi Jem,
the cheapest and funny way to get holographic plates is the Jeff's Diffusion Method. Besides the plates DIY, you can develop your own materials with ascorbic acid and FeEDTA safe bleach...

Cheers,
Cristiano
Ed Wesly

What Film to buy ???

Post by Ed Wesly »

That youtube of the CD cover is quite amazing! When I went to Amazon.com to check out buying one, they unfortunately had no image provided, plus alibris.com had a picture, but said that the one they send may look different that the image they had there. So is the one in the youtube a special limited edition, or what we can expect to see in the stores?

It would be a good idea to introduce your company to the viewers on this web site, plus the other one at holography.ning.com, as it looks like your lab has some sort of slick stereogram printer!

Keep up the good work!
glajciorz

What Film to buy ???

Post by glajciorz »

Hi Jem.

Maybe Jeff's approach would be OK for you ?
http://river-valley.tv/pva-photopolymer ... olography/
I know it's not a film, but it requires no chemical processing.

greetings
Adam
Jem

What Film to buy ???

Post by Jem »

Thanks for the suggestions guys, nothing seems like the 'ideal' solution yet though, please keep 'em coming :)

Cheers

Jem