Larger Format DCG

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
JohnFP

Larger Format DCG

Post by JohnFP »

Is anyone shooting larger then 4x5 inch plates in DCG? If so, how does the consistancy compare to 4x5 or smaller?

Thanks.
dave battin

Larger Format DCG

Post by dave battin »

hi John, i currently have expanded my beam so it can record 5x7s, can you explain a little more on what you are looking for? i am also combining separate exposures onto a 5 x 8 plates all seem to act the same from plate to plate (dip-n-shoot method)
Danny Bee

Larger Format DCG

Post by Danny Bee »

I shoot 5x7
cast method
I have found coating, and beam profile (reference beam) makes for a good clean, and no hot spots.
Cristiano_Perrucci

Larger Format DCG

Post by Cristiano_Perrucci »

JohnFP wrote:Is anyone shooting larger then 4x5 inch plates in DCG? If so, how does the consistancy compare to 4x5 or smaller?

Thanks.
MBDCG too?
Dutchelm05

Larger Format DCG

Post by Dutchelm05 »

Hey John,
My contest entry Sheel Shocked) was an 8X10.
I used both mold and spin methods on them.
All I can say is that I get an 80% yield when cutting 8x10 to 4x5. Meaning the plates have only minor flaws (but does not exclude my ability to screw up the other parts of the process :doh: :wall: :? :P )
When I made the 8x10s it was more like 1 out of 8 plates that were near perfect. Others has something that resulted in a uneven coatings, a bubbles, streaks or something odd.
I don't claim to be great at film maker but I can say large requires more dedicated equipment that helps ensure better consistantcy.

What are you up too John???
It would be awesome to get you back in the lab :dance:
dave battin

Larger Format DCG

Post by dave battin »

So Tony, you mention the use of both methods, (spin and mold coating) do you prefer one over the other when doing larger plates? I hate to Keep plugging dip-n-shoot, but now if i see bubbles/defects, back it goes back into hot water and is ready for recoating. This was not the case when doing coating with sensitized emulsion ..........., my tendency was to shoot it any way ,which wastes a lot of time in the end, better to treat each piece as it they were "gold” each one to be perfect
if not ,back it goes till it come out correct.

it is odd John would make a post then not answer it, he must be busy :wink:
Dutchelm05

Larger Format DCG

Post by Dutchelm05 »

Hey Dave,

Well I do both methods. I like doing spin just as far as if I have to coat, it is easy for me.
Mold for some reason takes longer. It is my fault because I have built this cold plate that I set the film on and allow to chill, then it goes to the frig. Maybe it is unneccessary but that is what I got my self into.

They both produce a 5um thick film and tend to work equally well for the most part. The veil spin has a bit of a thin area on the top of the plate but I just try not to use it.

I think this dip method merits a try. I am not ready to change my process but it is high on the list of things to try.
JohnFP

Larger Format DCG

Post by JohnFP »

Sorry, and thanks for the feedback guys. Yes Tony, I too have found the larger you go the harder it is to maintain a consistant emulsion quality from plate to plate.