VRP ???

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
John Klayer

VRP ???

Post by John Klayer »

What"s with this? Isn't VRP designed for transmisson holograms, something about an "anti halition backing"? I bought a box of VRP and the label says "VRP-photographic plates are designed to record reflecton holograms"
I haven't tried to expose one yet but under a safe light they look like any other plate. I thought the back would be black.
Justin W

VRP ???

Post by Justin W »

Hi John,

Odd indeed.

Your post inspired me to take a gander at the lid of one of the old boxes of 2.5" VRP-M plates I used to use before I got into using flexible film, and yep: Even the VRP-M (no anti-halation, reflection & transmission) has a little spot on the paper label that reads "VRP - photographic plates are designed to record reflection holograms"...

Which is 50% accurate... Yes, the plates contained within are cool for reflection work, but nope - The box contains VRP-M and not VRP.
What is the deal? Does Slavich just go super generic on us when it comes to labeling their products?

And as far as the anti-halation layer goes... Seriously? No black backing or anything? I'm still a junior holographer and have no experience with anti-halation, but would have imagined, like you, that there would at least be some visible difference. Do they look even a bit redder under your safelight? I ask in the event that Slavich's idea of anti-halation might be extra red dye...
dave battin

VRP ???

Post by dave battin »

the idea here is to have the red light the hits the back of the film and be absorbed, i would imagine the light from the safe light may easly pass through it, its the "red" light that that needs to be absorbed thru the backing,is it green in color?