Powering Compass 215M

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
Stefano Sica

Powering Compass 215M

Post by Stefano Sica »

Hi to everybody of the list,
I have bought on ebay a laser coherent compass 215M - 10 to start to make some experiment in holography at low cost.
How to connect the DC power supply to controller DC power connector ? There are four pins!
Some suggestion about heat sink ?
All the best!

Stefano Sica
Karsten

Powering Compass 215M

Post by Karsten »

Hi,

A picture is worth a thousand words.
215M.jpg
215M.jpg (80.89 KiB) Viewed 2296 times
We have a 215M-75 on a 20mm aluminium part twice the size of the laser head. Should be enough.
emf

Powering Compass 215M

Post by emf »

A few words might make you feel a little more comfortable when you turn on the power switch the first time. You apply 5V to the two pins on the left side of the connector (indicated by the + on the left side of the diagram on the sticker), and ground to the two pins on the right side. In the picture, it looks like the red is +5V, the brown and black are both GND.

The pair of brown wires in the photo are going to the two pins you want to short to turn the laser on. There is another pair of two pins very close to the power connector -- leave those alone.

I connected my C215-10 to an absurdly large heat sink and it has never gotten even slightly warm. I imagine you'd be fine with a heat sink about the size of the laser.
Stefano Sica

Powering Compass 215M

Post by Stefano Sica »

Thanks Karsten and emf,
your precious suggestions have avoided me to burn my green laser.

Thanks and good job

Stefano Sica
dave battin

Powering Compass 215M

Post by dave battin »

thats a great little laser to use for holography.

so you have a 5VDC power supply, the positive pin needs to go the left side and the negative is on the right, you only need to have one pin on each connected.

the area where the two brown wires are plugged in will need a jumper installed ( i simply put a small ball of aluminum foil to short the two pins together).

upon powering the unit on look for the amber LED to turn on (located next to the laser's output window).
if by chance the led does not go on after a second or two ,turn off the power for a few seconds the turn on again.

once the LED is lit it may take a few minuets to come to full power.

a good size piece of aluminum used as a heat sink for the laser head will be fine for a 10mw unit, the controller may get warm too but at this low power should be fine.

lets see some picture