hologram developed in instant coffee

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

Hello. Recently I developed hologram in instant coffee with surprisingly good results and I would share results:

These are H2 copies from clean BB520 master, all made on PFG-01. Left hologram is developed in normal CW-C2 developer, right is developed in coffee.
Of course left is better but "coffee" hologram is still very nice. My formula was:

instant coffee (I use Nescafe classic) - 14g
sodium carbonate anhydrous - 12g
ascorbic acid - 1,3g
water to 350ml
development time - 6 minutes

I observed that this developer is sensitive to over/under exposure and burnouts, and generally works good for both transmission and reflection holograms. Too bad it can't be drink it after developing.
BobH

Post by BobH »

Very impressive Konrad! :clap: :clap: :clap:

But tell me ... did you really spill your coffee into the tray while developing the hologram? :doh: :pray: :P
Tom B.

Post by Tom B. »

Martin

Post by Martin »

Konrad wrote:Hello. Recently I developed hologram in instant coffee with surprisingly good results and I would share results:

These are H2 copies from clean BB520 master, all made on PFG-01. Left hologram is developed in normal CW-C2 developer, right is developed in coffee.
Of course left is better but "coffee" hologram is still very nice. My formula was:

instant coffee (I use Nescafe classic) - 14g
sodium carbonate anhydrous - 12g
ascorbic acid - 1,3g
water to 350ml
development time - 6 minutes

I observed that this developer is sensitive to over/under exposure and burnouts, and generally works good for both transmission and reflection holograms. Too bad it can't be drink it after developing.
Interesting test.
Having read the discussion on APUG, I also tried coffee based developers. To see how much silver reduction could be expected, I only mixed coffee with trisodium phosphate. I got modest transmission gratings. The brown (coffee) stain was a nuisance though. I also planned to use coffee in a CW-C2 manner, with ascorbate that is.

Regarding your formula I would have expected that both the amount of ascorbic acid and the alkali had to be much higher - maybe something like 20g ascorbic and say, 60g sodium carbonate per liter.
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

There are many variantions of this recipe in the net, mostly are based on tablespoons, so i converted tablespoons to grams. Maybe after some optimisation formula/development time results could be better who knows (also I developed normal B/W film with excellent results). I know that ascorbic acid is not neccessary but it remove coffe stain from emulsion.