Thoughts on Holography Failures...

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
ron olson

Post by ron olson »

I think there should be a Forum heading "Sweeping Generalizations from Disgruntled Ex-Holographers". This would cover a large percentage of what is conveyed herein.One generalization I believe is true: bad holographic images fail. Our portrait portfolio now exceeds 200 and we have unhappy customers that I can count on two hands. Aging, once-beautiful women comprise all but two fingers.
BobH

Post by BobH »

If a section called "Sweeping Generalizations from Disgruntled Ex-Holographers" is formed, I'll be the first one to post in it! :snoothy: :boohoo: :hand: :shifty: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Danny Bee

Post by Danny Bee »

"Sweeping Generalizations from Disgruntled Ex-Holographers" come on you guys. its what you make out of it! perspective!
i feel so blessed :angel: that I was able to splash around in the field of Holography. its also helped me in other fields too! so come out of the pitty party and go do something, or teach someone, but dont sit and wine :boohoo: :boohoo: its up to you!!!
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

ron olson wrote:I think there should be a Forum heading "Sweeping Generalizations from Disgruntled Ex-Holographers". This would cover a large percentage of what is conveyed herein.One generalization I believe is true: bad holographic images fail. Our portrait portfolio now exceeds 200 and we have unhappy customers that I can count on two hands. Aging, once-beautiful women comprise all but two fingers.
Rolling on the floor laughing! Ron, where is the lab noow?
ron olson

Post by ron olson »

Downtown Poulsbo, Washington - about 45 minutes West of Seattle via ferry boat. Very nice space: small gallery in front; nice studio behind.
Tom B.

Post by Tom B. »

I think art for art's sake is the only way to go. The pure joy rush from making something amusing and beautiful for yourself - even if it's a bit lame, it's REAL 3D!
And sometimes it can even be a meaningful expression of whatever. Not that there's anything really wrong with trying to make money on holokitsch,
it just seems to be very hard to do except for people who would do just as well selling Obama lawn jockeys, iPhone fart apps etc.

Will alway be disgruntled, but hoping soon to be an ex-ex-holographer...
Joe Farina

Post by Joe Farina »

Regarding the "failure" of art holography:

Problem 1: Holographers don't know what they want to do. The question must not start with holography, but with art. The commitment must be to art first, holography second. The fatal attitude has been "I will practice this magical blend of art and science, people will be amazed, and they will love me." That will only work for the "novelty phase," and folks, those days are long, long gone. And I say good riddance.

Problem 2: This is more fundamental than the above. Art has no real place in mainstream society. So if a person wants to work with holography as an art medium, there can't be any real expectation of being reimbursed with money. It's pretty much the same with any art form, not just holography. Nonethless, I keep on working.

The "technical problems" of holography have all been solved. Acceptable pemanence (properly sealed DCG), Color (multiple lasers, etc, but even good monochrome holograms can be perfectly OK), Lighting (LEDs which can be incorporated into the display base), having control over the emulsion fabrication steps (DCG), etc. There is a huge amount of literature published since the 1960's covering countless issues. Of course, there is always trial and error work which needs to be done by the individual holographer, but that's part of any skill or craft.

Typically a holographer gets involved intially with the "magical blend of art and science" (and I was guilty of this also). Then some holograms are made, involvement continues for a period of time (maybe many years) and quality keeps improving, then the holographer gives up. Don't we see this over and over again? If holograms are only being made of dime-store novelties, there's good reason to give up. It gets extremely boring. The idea of being an artist is foreign to many people, but once their holograms of dime-store objects start to have a good technical quality, their language (describing their holograms) starts to resemble the way artists talk :!: That's pretty loathsome.

If someone wants to make art, then art is the thing. A hologram can be a medium, a piece of clay can be a medium, a piece of paper with markings on it, a canvas, an engraved plate, a piece of wood, etc. If people could just make a commitment to art first, then a lot of progress could be made. Not to say that someone could make a living at it, but art is not something to be measured in dollars, at least not by me. I just think about the glory of art, and that's enough to keep going.
Joe Farina

Post by Joe Farina »

As an example of art in the true sense, this is a photo of the cover of a book, showing a detail of a painting by Alessandro Magnasco.
Attachments
P5290010.JPG
P5290010.JPG (65.88 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
Dutchelm05

Post by Dutchelm05 »

Joe that was one of the more insightful post I've read in a long time. Thanks

Personally it is difficult for me to find objects the meet the half dozen or so critiera that is needed to make a good art hologram. You would think it would be easy but it isn't. It has to be about the right size. Can't be too deep, to soft, shinny, about the right color and lastly interesting. Joe and Dave are gifted enough to sculpt their own stuff, but even there, there are limits.

I am not sure why holographry is a failure, maybe it is just taking a nap :angel: . As with many things, there are things that resonate with people and things that don't.

I am surprise Bob has not commented on this one. He has seen it all and is kinda the middle aged guy on the mountain.

Last point, the fact that holograms are not popular and the fact that I still enjoy making them only reenforces my feeling that I have found my bliss :)
Danny Bee

Post by Danny Bee »

The main question here is holography controlling you! or are you controlling holography! are you in it for the love of the art its self or what it can do for you!
the public trends will always go up and down, holography is a art form where technical or style and like many art forms they have their seasons. when there is burn out their is wrong focus of objective and need to reevaluate , who are you lessoning too, why are you here in holography, what can I do to prepare for the next season.

I don't think holography's dead,and it hasnt been a failure, maybe a few old burnout holographer who lost ther focus, be a kid again return to you first love,
think out side the box, a new paradigm , prepare the new generation.

just my thoughts :angel: