Thoughts on Holography Failures...

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
BobH

Post by BobH »

I agree 100% with what Joe just said so very well. Thanks for that, Joe!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm a technical holographer. I get off on making holograms. Doesn't matter very much to me if the end result is artwork or optical element, the process is the same. But that's why I don't believe that computer assisted holography (such as RabitHoles) will make much of a difference in artists' use of the technique. Easier to make imagery for some, but they're still left with basicly a black square reflection hologram (maybe with a light hanging on a stick above it).

Without artist identification and manipulation of the unique properties of holography to really justify the hassle of display, they're gonna' get very frustrated very fast. So we got sculpture and dioramas presented holographicly, animated computer graphics presented holographicly, but very few statements presented holographicly. No wonder few got/get the message!
Danny Bee

Post by Danny Bee »

BobH wrote:I agree 100% with what Joe just said so very well. Thanks for that, Joe!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm a technical holographer. I get off on making holograms. Doesn't matter very much to me if the end result is artwork or optical element, the process is the same. But that's why I don't believe that computer assisted holography (such as RabitHoles) will make much of a difference in artists' use of the technique. Easier to make imagery for some, but they're still left with basicly a black square reflection hologram (maybe with a light hanging on a stick above it).

Without artist identification and manipulation of the unique properties of holography to really justify the hassle of display, they're gonna' get very frustrated very fast. So we got sculpture and dioramas presented holographicly, animated computer graphics presented holographicly, but very few statements presented holographicly. No wonder few got/get the message!
so true!!! Its a love for the art form that will let you see past the so called failures.... i too get I get off on making holograms and coming up with different ways to light up the object and different technical.... and the technical side is a art form too
MfA

Post by MfA »

BobH wrote:the process is the same. But that's why I don't believe that computer assisted holography (such as RabitHoles) will make much of a difference in artists' use of the technique. Easier to make imagery for some, but they're still left with basicly a black square reflection hologram (maybe with a light hanging on a stick above it).
Completely computer generated holograms (fringe holograms, not like Rabbitholes) don't have to be reflection holograms though ... in theory with fully computer generated fringes you can create on axis lit multilayer embossed colour holograms.

Still won't help the artist, but will make mass manufacturing a lot easier.
Jeffrey Weil

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

I'm making holo kitch and love it. I'm making some of the most complex 2d-3d's ever. So far my record is 9 full color layers that are as bright and noise free as any embossed hologram you've ever seen. I also do 3d's, stereograms, diffraction patterns, etc....

I get to go onto youtube and watch adults and kids by the dozen open up their pack of sports trading cards or whatever it might be and get all excited at getting my limited edition holograms.

I can go into stores all over the world and see my holograms on the shelves.

I protect drugs from counterfeits and save peoples lives, I get to travel the world on someone else's dime, etc... All that great stuff.

What I don't do in holography is come here often. It seems like every time I do I have to read someone disrespecting my work. I usually ignore it but saying I'm the same as some guy that would be selling Obama lawn jockeys is bullshit that I can't ignore.

This thread is about how no one is making money and yet your all dissing portraits and embossed stuff. Since Ron and I have been paying the bills for decades by making holograms full time maybe we know something you don't.

Why is this board full of comments, from people that have never done this for a living, that our work sucks? Do you think comments like that are going to make us give you the secrets to success or share techniques.
Danny Bee

Post by Danny Bee »

yet your all dissing portraits and embossed stuff. Since Ron and I have been paying the bills for decades by making holograms full time maybe we know something you don't. .
Hi Jeff,thank for all your contributions to holography!
but that is not true. I have been in holography since the 80s and seen it go up and down, and with many of the new developments from (your all) types we can do short runs of embossed stuff at home, and thanks to many of(your all) types we can make good holographic plates at home . and thanks to many (your all) types, what was once hidden is becoming common knowledge. I think the field of holography is wide open and very much alive
Tom B.

Post by Tom B. »

Jeffrey Weil wrote:I'm making holo kitch and love it. I'm making some of the most complex 2d-3d's ever. So far my record is 9 full color layers that are as bright and noise free as any embossed hologram you've ever seen. I also do 3d's, stereograms, diffraction patterns, etc....
<snipped>
What I don't do in holography is come here often. It seems like every time I do I have to read someone disrespecting my work. I usually ignore it but saying I'm the same as some guy that would be selling Obama lawn jockeys is bullshit that I can't ignore.

This thread is about how no one is making money and yet your all dissing portraits and embossed stuff. Since Ron and I have been paying the bills for decades by making holograms full time maybe we know something you don't.

Why is this board full of comments, from people that have never done this for a living, that our work sucks? Do you think comments like that are going to make us give you the secrets to success or share techniques.
My apologies, I mentioned the Obama lawn jockeys as a whimsical example of bad kitsch. Only to find later that they exist. I'd kind of like one myself - Hey! The US president is responsible for my sad-ass lawn! My intended point was that marketing ANYTHING for most holographers is very difficult.

As for making money from holography, I must be in the wrong thread. If it's not impossible, it must be immoral :)
Jeffrey Weil

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

Danny, my point was its not right to trash peoples work, that they are proud of, sight unseen only because the medium they work in or the subject matter they use do not measure up to "art" by some people on the forum. And that it's not going to help the exchange of information if some of the people here are constantly insulting the largest group of professional holographers in the world.

What is your point? That collectively the people on this board have done so much for holography that its ok to do just that?

Why such a snarky comment? All I'm doing is defending myself and my work from attack. Attacks that have been totally uncalled for. I've not insulted anyone here. But I always have to read stuff about how embossed stuff is s***.

but that is not true. I have been in holography since the 80s and seen it go up and down,

I was referring to people like myself and ron that do this full time for a living over long periods. On your page you list yourself as a web designer so you have not been in holography full time since the 80's. When I first posted my defense you emailed me asking in I needed any web work done. When I told you I didn't need any but thanks you come back to this thread to trash me.

and with many of the new developments from (your all) types we can do short runs of embossed stuff at home,

That made no sense. Please show me your desktop embossing machine in your house. You must be confusing that with something else.

and thanks to many of(your all) types we can make good holographic plates at home . and thanks to many (your all) types, what was once hidden is becoming common knowledge. I think the field of holography is wide open and very much alive[/quote]

Once again, that made no sense. I NEVER commented on this board about what it was doing or it's worth or anything like that. All I was doing was asking people on this board to stop shitting on my work only because of the subject matter and media (embossed).

Whats everyone else's opinion on this? I've been making holograms for decades day in and day out. All professional real jobs. Do I have anything to offer on this board, or should I go away in shame because I do the unspeakable? I make holograms that are not art in some peoples eyes on this board. And if so, should all the other holographers that are not considered artists by this forum leave too?
Danny Bee

Post by Danny Bee »

Jeffrey Weil wrote:Danny, my point was its not right to trash peoples work, that they are proud of, sight unseen only because the medium they work in or the subject matter they use do not measure up to "art" by some people on the forum. And that it's not going to help the exchange of information if some of the people here are constantly insulting the largest group of professional holographers in the world.

What is your point? That collectively the people on this board have done so much for holography that its ok to do just that?

Why such a snarky comment? All I'm doing is defending myself and my work from attack. Attacks that have been totally uncalled for. I've not insulted anyone here. But I always have to read stuff about how embossed stuff is s***.

but that is not true. I have been in holography since the 80s and seen it go up and down,

I was referring to people like myself and ron that do this full time for a living over long periods. On your page you list yourself as a web designer so you have not been in holography full time since the 80's. When I first posted my defense you emailed me asking in I needed any web work done. When I told you I didn't need any but thanks you come back to this thread to trash me.

and with many of the new developments from (your all) types we can do short runs of embossed stuff at home,

That made no sense. Please show me your desktop embossing machine in your house. You must be confusing that with something else.

and thanks to many of(your all) types we can make good holographic plates at home . and thanks to many (your all) types, what was once hidden is becoming common knowledge. I think the field of holography is wide open and very much alive

Once again, that made no sense. I NEVER commented on this board about what it was doing or it's worth or anything like that. All I was doing was asking people on this board to stop shitting on my work only because of the subject matter and media (embossed).

Whats everyone else's opinion on this? I've been making holograms for decades day in and day out. All professional real jobs. Do I have anything to offer on this board, or should I go away in shame because I do the unspeakable? I make holograms that are not art in some peoples eyes on this board. And if so, should all the other holographers that are not considered artists by this forum leave too?[/quote]

H i Jeffrey Weil
my point here is not to trash you, but hoping you can see the big picture, and I have found when your so focused on defending your self that all you will see!
1 making embossed holograms is a art, and what the common public miss is the time and money that goes into the making of a h1 and h2 to come up with the master plate, many times in teaching holography the public think the emboss holograms represent holography and that they can be made very cheaply and its the job of the teacher to open up their eyes that the embossed holograms is actually a 3 to 4 generation hologram. and that the real work is done in making the h1 and h2

2 there are many in the arts that are pro's in their field that have to subsidies their income to make ends meet, but i would still consider them pro's,. when i was starting in the photography field a wise person told me always have a backup in a field close or compliments the one you love to do.

3 this has been a ongoing problem for holography the split between the 2 groups artist/and commercial holography. which are both hurting right now. so my purpose it to get us focused on the bigger picture to overcome this problem
BobH

Post by BobH »

Perhaps this thread should've been titled "Thoughts on Art Holography Failures". Holography's been a raving success! Including embossed holography, regardless of the personal preferences of a few here (myself included, no disrespect intended). Pictorial, creative, fine art applications are what seems to have not caught on, despite the many wonderful pieces made over the years. That's a tiny but highly visible part of holography.
Jeffrey Weil

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

H i Jeffrey Weil
my point here is not to trash you, but hoping you can see the big picture

You have no idea of what experience I have in holography, you don't know me at all, you've never seen a piece of my work that you knew was mine, of the dozens of symposiums I've been we've never met, but your going to teach me about the big picture. If that's the case you must feel like you know more than everyone that's ever worked in embossed holography.

All I know about you is your a web designer asking me to accept being insulted on a forum geared towards hobbyists so I can learn about the big picture of holography. That's crazy. Even if every person here is a better holographer that I am, that's still crazy. No one here should be dumped on.

Your three points make no sense. I'm not talking about any of that.

I'll list it like you do so you can get what I'm saying

1-It's wrong to s*** on people so harshly on a forum like this. We should respect each other, lawn jockey salesman, Iphone fart app salesman,etc.... The list seems to get longer and longer each time I visit this site. I'm not only talking about this thread. I've read many derogatory remarks about what I do here. There are nicer ways of making all the same points. And these remarks were not directed at me, but to all embossed holographers.

2-chasing away professional holographers regardless of their media does not help this forum with it's intended goal of sharing information. Almost all of us started out doing silver or dcg.

What about that can't you understand?