Fume Hood

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
Dutchelm05

Fume Hood

Post by Dutchelm05 »

Jeffrey Weil wrote:Here's another safe way to do things. Dicro in water will last forever. Mix up some outside, stay upwind, and use your mask. Mix up a quart or whatever will last a long time. That way instead of mixing ten times, your only mixing once. And your outside so no residue will end up in the lab
This doesn't make a lot of since in either doing this outside or have a high ventaltion flow, the dust is going somewhere. If not your nose, maybe someone elses.
Just for piece of mind, I would treat it as if it was 10 time worst than it is.
I use a fume mask, gloves and a lab coat. The coat get washed after each use.
Everything is on a paper towel when being measured and the whole bench get wiped down with a wet paper towel after use.
The scale and AmDi container also gets wiped down
Everything that is in contact like the spoon and measuring cups, paper towels get bagged in a zip locked, I also add water to the bag.
My lab has one of those air cleaners with a hepa filter which I leave on 24/7
Even after all these precautions I still might see a tiny particle once in a blue moon. If I do I wipe the whole lab with MS and water.
Most of what I read says prolong exposure is what gets you, but why chance it...
Colin Kaminski

Fume Hood

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I remember using potassium dichromate as a mordant on wood with no gloves.... :shock: It makes mahogony a wonderful rich brown color.