91% alcohol alone for DCG

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

I made about 5 holograms yesterday, every one turned out. Not great, but pretty bright. I am just happy I got some nice images after being out of the lab so long.

I used 100:10:1 KDi.
Test exposure with my 50mw blue laser was 20s, 60s, 150s and 300s.
The 20s was too short and left a very dim very ruby red image.
60s was hene red
150 was gold
300 was green

These were all on the same plate using my multi-exposure test object. So processing was completely identical.
http://www.holograms3d.com/Illustrations/pyracubes6.jpg

After exposure, Kodak Rapid fix then warm water then straight to the 91% alcohol and from their to the forced hot air drying (hair dryer).

Yes I took some photos and will try to post them when I get time.

Anyway, for all the holographers that want to dabble in DCG and find it hard to get 100% alcohol, it is not needed. 91% works just fine.

Next, test the Sodium Metabisulfite and Alum in stead of Kodak Rapid Fixer.
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

JohnFP wrote: holographers that want to dabble in DCG and find it hard to get 100% alcohol, it is not needed. 91% works just fine.
what differences do you notice between the 100% vrs 91% Alc? I would imagine a lot longer blowing/drying time?
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

yes Dave you are right, it does take longer to blow dry althogh I do not see any impact on quality yet.
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

JohnFP wrote: yes, it does take longer to blow dry althogh I do not see any impact on quality yet.

ok great ill try this next time im in the mix, i think that now you and i are on the same wavelength, (blue that is), our testing will coincide much better!
Seriously, i think there is a large difference in the use of green vs blue laser light, based on all these parameters..................
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

dave battin wrote:
JohnFP wrote: yes, it does take longer to blow dry althogh I do not see any impact on quality yet.

ok great ill try this next time im in the mix, i think that now you and i are on the same wavelength, (blue that is), our testing will coincide much better!
Seriously, i think there is a large difference in the use of green vs blue laser light, based on all these parameters..................
I think that is why everyone was surprised that green would work at all! :think: