Sheathing Action

This is a forum to share experiences and ideas about holography.
Martin

Sheathing Action

Post by Martin »

Thieu wrote:I always use glass from photoframes. Last time I bought 40 plates from 2 different brands, 20 of each. Of the one brand, all plates cleaned well, nice hydrophylic surface, no beading at all. Of the other brand, about half the plates were not clean even after soaking overnight in pure bleach + double soap wash. My guess is that some batches of glass have impurities that make the surface hydrophobic, just like when treated with rainex. Plates I treated with rainex remain totally hydrophobic even with pure bleach treatment. The hydrophobic groups are chemically bonded to the surface and apparently very inert.
That's exactly what I've been experiencing too.
I suspect that those hydrophobic glass surfaces had been produced by silicone desposits (possibly from detergent/cleaning solutions containing silicone defoamers).
Dutchelm05

Sheathing Action

Post by Dutchelm05 »

Thanks for the interesting replys

I am not sure what the Ph of the water is Colin. Both the MA and final rinse is made with Distilled water. Didtilled water is normally like a Ph of 7.

I know that some use TSP such as Joe and others use a mixture with Cascade. I cannot remember the term used (like sufferant??) when discribing stuff like soaps.

I also Thieu have found impossible to remove glass that has had Rain-x on it. I am suprised too that soaking in pure bleach and some degresser would not do the trick.

Joe, what method do you use to clean glass?

Tony
Joe Farina

Sheathing Action

Post by Joe Farina »

Dutchelm05 wrote:Joe, what method do you use to clean glass?
I take a shallow plastic tub, and put in hot tap water, to a depth of about 2 or 3 inches. Then add a generous amount of TSP, and stir. Add the plates and soak about an hour or more. Then scrub the plates on both sides in the TSP solution. Then allow them to soak another hour or more. Then rinse and dry.

I've heard that TSP actually dissolves some of the glass over time, I don't know if it's true.
Colin Kaminski

Sheathing Action

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Dutchelm05 wrote:Thanks for the interesting replys

I am not sure what the Ph of the water is Colin. Both the MA and final rinse is made with Distilled water. Didtilled water is normally like a Ph of 7.
I would expect the after rinse water to show a signature from what was rinsed since distilled water has no buffers.
I know that some use TSP such as Joe and others use a mixture with Cascade. I cannot remember the term used (like sufferant??) when discribing stuff like soaps.
Surfactants break the surface tension of water making them rinse cleaner. They can leave a residue and are heat sensitive. Cascade and TSP are phosphate based cleaners. If you live in Washington State the phosphates are being legislated out and will be removed from all cleaners soon. Phosphates are nutrients for some single cellular organisms that cause problems in waste water.
I also Thieu have found impossible to remove glass that has had Rain-x on it. I am suprised too that soaking in pure bleach and some degresser would not do the trick.
[/quote]

If you take sodium hydroxide (lye) (3 to 6% by weight) and add sodium hypochlorate (bleach) (2oz per gallon) and keep it above a pH of 10 with a green scrubbie it will clean Rain-X. Warmer is better and make sure to wear eye protection. I use it at 140F.
Dutchelm05

Sheathing Action

Post by Dutchelm05 »

I tryed the TSP today Joe,
water sheeted off like water of baby's bottom (is that right??)

I will try your solution on my rain-x glass too Colin and soon as I find the ingredients

Thanks all, the devil is in the details :twisted:
Colin Kaminski

Sheathing Action

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Dutchelm05 wrote:I tryed the TSP today Joe,
water sheeted off like water of baby's bottom (is that right??)

I will try your solution on my rain-x glass too Colin and soon as I find the ingredients

Thanks all, the devil is in the details :twisted:
If you get to Napa I keep them in stock at the brewery. Let me know...