RSS feed for the Holography Forum?

This is a place to request new features and report bugs. You can also look here for news regarding the site.
edelbrp

Post by edelbrp »

Nice to see the forum up to date with the latest PHPBB2! Nice work, Colin.

I wonder if you could add an RSS feed? Not a big deal, but it might be fun to have.

It seems easy to add (hah, easier said than done, I know):

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=144548

-Phil
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I have not heard of RSS. What are the advanteges to this site?
edelbrp

Post by edelbrp »

It's 'Real Simple Syndication'. A safe, simple publishing method for showing what's new on a site. It's a mechanism that makes it easy for people/software to see what's new.

For some modern systems (like MacOS-X ;'), it's a standard input for the browser of even screensaver to display the latest.

-Phil
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Ok I read about 25% of the mod posts and the mod itself. Them mod is quite easy to install but I can not figure wich of the changes made by the suers have been included and wich ones need to be patched in. I am promarily concerned witht eh posts by Fost and also would like it to only include the topic once if there have been multipul posts since the last visit.

I figure this is about 4 hours of work to read through all of the posts in phpbb's site to insure the right patches are installed and the security is taken care of. Read the last post of the forum for some insite.

Phil, is this a project you would have time to take on? I will include the files if you can read through all of the files and send me updated copies of the two files I need to upload. I get the feeling that the author is waiting for phpbb 2.1 before he includes all of the changes talked about in the forum.
edelbrp

Post by edelbrp »

Let me do a little more research, too. I'm running a forum for a client which is using the same version of the software you are (assuming so since we both updated recently). I'll try it with my forum, and then get back to you.

-Phil

PS- A belated 'Woo Hoo!' on my 200th post. ;')
edelbrp

Post by edelbrp »

Finally getting back to an old topic...

I've got some time this afternoon to play with this, Colin/Michael, if you're around. If it's any easier to have me be a user and SSH in, I can do that. Otherwise pushing files back and forth if fine with me.

This one looks like a more complete mod:

http://naklon.info/rss/about.htm

I saw some complaints that it shows some private forums, but we don't have private forums here, do we?

Phil
edelbrp

Post by edelbrp »

I got it working on a test install.

http://drtheopolis.netroedge.com/phpBB2/
feed://drtheopolis.netroedge.com/phpBB2/rss.php

Pretty easy. Just copy the files:

(it looks weird, but it means copy the file from the mod folder to the corresponding phpBB2 install folder:)
copy rss.php to rss.php
copy includes/rss_config.php to includes/rss_config.php
copy includes/rss_functions.php to includes/rss_functions.php
copy templates/rss.xsl to templates/rss.xsl
copy templates/subSilver/rss_body.tpl to templates/subSilver/rss_body.tpl
copy templates/subSilver/atom_body.tpl to templates/subSilver/atom_body.tpl

Then, I tweaked includes/rss_config.php to set the cache time to 0 (zero) for testing.

Finally, I added this inside the HEAD of the header template (overall_header.tpl):

Code: Select all

<!-- RSS Autodiscovery -->
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS" href="/phpBB2/rss.php" />
It has you copy the stuff into the subSilver template folder, and I'm not sure if you need to adjust anything other than which overall_header.tpl to edit for the template you use here.

-Phil
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Thank you Phil. I will get this running. If it is not up in a week or so email me to remind me as I forget things when my beer production is in it's summer peak. In October things will start to slow down.
edelbrp

Post by edelbrp »

Ah, that's what's been keeping you busy. That reminds me, I've got an IPA that I've neglected to get started.

BTW- the install was remarkably quick. Just a few minutes.

Also, I wonder if you'd like a new skin/template? This blue one is nice, but it might be fun to have a more-holographic option for kicks. Just a random thought. Something to keep things interesting. ;')

-Phil
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

OK, Phil. Your recent donation and your technical help have motivated me to add a feed to the forum.

I am using:

http://www.feedreader.com

to test it and it apears to be working.

The feed can be found at:

http://holographyforum.org/phpBB2/rss.php