Holography Wiki

This is a place to request new features and report bugs. You can also look here for news regarding the site.
MichaelH

Holography Wiki

Post by MichaelH »

JohnFP wrote:I was sort of hoping there would be more input on the Wiki Site. I have been trying to add what I can but there are many, many, many areas that would benefit from knowledgable input unbeknown to me.

Nothing happens all at once, even a wiki.

There's a lot of information there already. It'll continue to grow. It might grow faster if registration wasn't required but history says we'd have to keep an eye on at least two untrustworthy people.

Give it time. Once NTIF (http://www.ntif.org) is over I'll also be posting more information as well.
JohnFP

Holography Wiki

Post by JohnFP »

Oh, I know. I just know with all the experience here, the Wiki site will be something that will be looked back upon and say, yes, this is a great thing.

I guess it's my own head rambling, but I even find here that some users love to read and absorb information and don't like to post new ideas, thought or techniques. I am not sure if it is still back wash from being reprimanded from posting non proven ideas or what.

I give 100% to this site and I intend to for the Wiki but I know there are others with tons of knowledgeable experience far beyond mine that don't or are afraid to post their speakings. I personally would love to hear what everyone is working on, not just what they accomplished. I would love to hear what is on the mind of others not just what the have thought out completely. I would love to just talk BS holography some times.

We now have a no nonsense facet of the holography forum that is just for proven techniques and methodologies. I hope this opens this forum up to the forum level as it should be. A discussion place, not a fact, tried, proven place.

Maybe I post too much, share too much, ramble too much, hypothetical too much but I love to explore every possibility holography has to offer.

I surely don't want to run the forum or the Wiki, I am just trying to make 2006 different from the 80's or 90's or W2K. We have the technology now to provide information to the amateur, the beginner, the schools, the practitioner, even the experienced and all that explore holography. It is up to us, the holographyforum-members, now, today, tomorrow to help holography grow.

Ok, I'm done.

Wish I could meet you all one day.

Peace,

John
Kaveh

Holography Wiki

Post by Kaveh »

Hi John

Your impatience and enthusiasm is actually a good sign and I for one appreciate your posting regarding DCG, though I have not had time to read it yet.

I do agree with your sentiment that we should share our knowledge. I believe that secrecy has been one of the factors that has contributed to the demise of holography over the last two decades. Everyone had their "brew" and tricks, and thought they would keep it close to their chest to have an advantage. In the end it was to no one's advantage.

I sometimes wonder what neat tricks people like Dan Schweitzer might have taken to the grave with them.

Thankfully the idea of the Wiki and other internet resources encourages us to share knowledge. The copyright rules also mean that we can reuse our contributions in our own name later, as opposed to publishing in a journal which means we say goodbye to it for ever.

So.... I for one will be contributing what I have learnt over the years and I am sure others will too. We just don't have the energy that you consistently have!!
JohnFP

Holography Wiki

Post by JohnFP »

Thanks Kaveh. I know there is no race. I am just hungry for this stuff.
Colin Kaminski

Holography Wiki

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I hvae had many emial conversations now with potential authors. I am excited that after one year this will be an amazing resource. We will find that people get excited about for a few weeks and post a lot then forget to post for a few onths until they think of something different. Some of the big holes in the Wiki are just waiting for the right person to fill them in. As it becomes a resource of value people will find they wish to share as much as they learn from it.
Colin Kaminski

Holography Wiki

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Ed made a very nice addition to the HoloWiki today on holography theory.

http://www.holographyforum.org/HoloWiki ... Holography

Thank you Ed! I can't wait for the nex part on diffraction. I'll work on some illustrations for what you have.
JohnFP

Holography Wiki

Post by JohnFP »

Kaveh wrote:The copyright rules also mean that we can reuse our contributions in our own name later, as opposed to publishing in a journal which means we say goodbye to it for ever.

Kaveh, what does this mean exactly. I would have thought the author always has rights to his/her own work unless a contract is signed that says otherwise.
Colin Kaminski

Holography Wiki

Post by Colin Kaminski »

When you publish professionally you sign just such an agreement. You transfer all rights to the publication.
Colin Kaminski

Holography Wiki

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Phil made has been doing some great work on the HoloWiki this weekend. Here is one of the nice additions:

http://www.holographyforum.org/HoloWiki ... holography

I learned a few tips myself. :)
edelbrp

Holography Wiki

Post by edelbrp »

Colin Kaminski wrote:Phil made has been doing some great work on the HoloWiki this weekend. Here is one of the nice additions:

http://www.holographyforum.org/HoloWiki ... holography

I learned a few tips myself. :)

Thank you very much! It gets sort of addictive once you get started making little changes here and there.

BTW- John did that section, not me. But, I'd be happy to take the credit. ;')

Ed's mathematics page is pretty awesome, nice work.

Phil