Problem trying to send a message

This is a place to request new features and report bugs. You can also look here for news regarding the site.
Uli

Post by Uli »

Hi Collin

I have a problem trying to send a message to Konrad. It happened from both Linux and Windows browser (Mozilla Firefox).

The message is for user Konrad, and I do not have his email address, and is not public (not in the memberlist, at least). I need to contact him quickly about sending some of the sample Colourholographic plates, and the only way we have been communicating is by posting through the Forum. Is there any way of getting his email address? Can you contact him and get that for me?

Thank you for all your good work with the Forum.

This is the error that appears after trying to send a post:

Ran into problems sending Mail. Response: 500 5.5.1 Command unrecognized: "AUTH LOGIN"

DEBUG MODE

Line : 126

File : smtp.php
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Hi Uli, Someone on this server used a script to send SPAM emails, my host shut down all email from this server until they find out what is going on. It should be a temporary problem. PMs should still work but no email is being sent from the board right now. If you get an error from sending a PM it just means that the email part of it faild. The PM is still saved and the next time he logs in he will find the message.

Sorry for the problems my Host says they will have it fixed soon.

Colin

PS I am looking to get my own server as I am tired of these problems and I would like to install some other software on the server like LaTex for math editing. Right now we share this server with about 50 web sites.

I run 4 web sites and I would consolodate them all to this new server. I think the proce would end up about the same but we would have more control and the SQL side would be much faster.
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

You could even host out some space to a few web sites (for fellow holographers of couse) to offset any additional costs.

But you would need to purchase IP's (if available), broadband connnection, server (box), at least dual nics, dual power supplies, backup solution (tape or whatever), UPS, OS, Additional software, firewall, antifvirus software.... just to name a few . I also suggest running RAID 5 on the hard drives (requires 3 or more hard drive with a data capacity 1/3 less the total of all drives together) for redundancy. Keep in mind the Cost Of Ownership get pretty pricy after about 3 - 5 years (when warranty expires, equiptment gets old, etc). So expect to replace the server every 3 - 5 years. Also after every 5 years software upgrades are required.

I surely am not trying to talk you out of getting your own server and I may be very helpful in this area but there is quite a bit of upkeep, maintainance and cost associated with this service to keep it up and running uninterrupted, backed up and redundant. Most services have mirrored servers and the entire server has redundancy for protection against complete hardware failure.
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Hosts provide a t1 connection and data backups as part of a colocation service. My up-load speed is too slow to host at home. I have a server at home I use to test software changes so I am familiar with the setups. IfI go that path I will surely ask for you help! :)
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Ok, it is all fixed now. Sorry for the problems.