New Forum Section?

This is a place to request new features and report bugs. You can also look here for news regarding the site.
Colin Kaminski

New Forum Section?

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I am thinking we are finally needing a beginners section. It would be for beginners to post questions and replies would be limited to the level of the question. So if someone asks "How do I make a hologram?" no long explainations of silver halide chemistry would be allowed.

What are your thoughts?
Tom B.

New Forum Section?

Post by Tom B. »

At first I had doubts about the wisdom of ghettoizing beginners in this way but I now think that a separate section (with a sticky note explaining the posting and reply rules and a link to the FAQ) might be worth a try. Some beginners with (to them) dumb questions might be less inhibited about asking them if they felt they were not interrupting the grand intellectual discourse that takes place on the general holography thread :)

Also, I expect the only members checking the section regularly would be newbies and patient, caring, and responsible holographers with an interest in promoting the art who would provide helpful replies. I wonder if there would be a way of somehow automatically escalating a question that has received no response at all in the beginner section after say 24-48 hours to the general section with replies duped back to the beginner section?
Kiffdino

New Forum Section?

Post by Kiffdino »

i would very welcome such a section

im a newbie to holography and i think some of my post annoyed you professionals :D

the toughest thing in this forum, especially for me as a foreigner,

is to get hold of all these new terms

whats DCG MBDCG NDYAG SILVER HALID DIFFRACTION GRATINGS PULSED LASER.... ???

takes a lot of time, reading the holowiki and studying saxbys book to get around here
Colin Kaminski

New Forum Section?

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Hi Kiffdino,

Don't worry about offending us old codgers. We really do like holography and each other although it does not always show in the posts. :)

Also, anything you don't find in the glossary in the wiki please post it here to the admin section. I am always looking for terms that we have forgotten. There is an old thread about Glossary but feel free to start a fresh one if you find missing terms. The Holowiki is only a year old and it still needs much work.
Colin Kaminski

New Forum Section?

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Tom B. wrote:At first I had doubts about the wisdom of ghettoizing beginners in this way but I now think that a separate section (with a sticky note explaining the posting and reply rules and a link to the FAQ) might be worth a try. Some beginners with (to them) dumb questions might be less inhibited about asking them if they felt they were not interrupting the grand intellectual discourse that takes place on the general holography thread :)

Also, I expect the only members checking the section regularly would be newbies and patient, caring, and responsible holographers with an interest in promoting the art who would provide helpful replies. I wonder if there would be a way of somehow automatically escalating a question that has received no response at all in the beginner section after say 24-48 hours to the general section with replies duped back to the beginner section?

I can't really bounce it in to the main section but I can moderate it to move complex posts out of the beginners section.

Can you help me with the text for posting rules?
ErichRose

New Forum Section?

Post by ErichRose »

I know I would appreciate the beginners section despite not technically being a beginner. Having not burned a plate in almost twenty years there are now many new ideas, materials and techniques I need to learn about. I've been spending late nights working my way through old threads, taking notes and trying to gleam knowledge from the many earlier posts.
JohnFP

New Forum Section?

Post by JohnFP »

I think it is a fantastic idea!!!