Is there a "time out" ?

This is a place to request new features and report bugs. You can also look here for news regarding the site.
John Klayer

Is there a "time out" ?

Post by John Klayer »

This happened to me at least twice when I tried to post something: by the time I get done typing it, some kind of time out occurs. Give us olders guys a break. Youth is short. You'll be here someday.
Tom B.

Is there a "time out" ?

Post by Tom B. »

I've seen this too. Nowadays for a post of any length I try to remember to select the text and CTRL-C for copy to clipboard before hitting submit or preview so it can be recovered if the submit fails. Don't know if its a timeout or just sporadic server flakiness. It's always been this way.
MichaelH

Is there a "time out" ?

Post by MichaelH »

What exactly happens?

Does it happen as you're typing or when you submit your reply?

What browser and OS are you using?

Need more details. What you've submitted is the equivalent of someone new coming on and saying "I got bad holograms, what do I do?" :-)
MichaelH

Is there a "time out" ?

Post by MichaelH »

John Klayer wrote:Youth is short. You'll be here someday.

:( That stop just keeps getting easier and easier to see.
Colin Kaminski

Is there a "time out" ?

Post by Colin Kaminski »

There is a "anti flood setting" that keeps one from posting too many time in a short period. It is there to keep spammers from filling the forum database. It will give you a warnign saying you need to wait x nuimber of seconds before posting. If you do not get the warning then it is simple the database server slowing down.

The database is on a seperate server from the forum. I have found this to be advantages for speed and security.
JohnFP

Is there a "time out" ?

Post by JohnFP »

If he is talking about what happens to me all the time since the move from the old forum, here is what happens. By the time I am done typing I try to post and it bring up the logon screen again, even if I was logged on. Sometimes it lets me log on again but most times it does not, it just goes back to another logon screen, a visious loop. I used to be able to hit the back button on my brower and retrieve what I wrote, but now when I do it the box is empty.

So here is my normal lengthy routine in posting. I write what I want then immediately copy it to clipboard. I then try to submit. If it does not work then I close my browser, reopen it, drill to the subject, click post reply and then past my post back in. I then submit immediately.

I think I brought this up long long ago and I am not sure but I believe I thought it was on my end (firewall or proxy server or something) because no one else was experience the same problems, or noone stated they were.

That's why you may see me log on and off many times in a short time when I am posting. I think it loggs me out after a certaint time because I see at the top when I refresh, I am not logged in even after I have logged in.
MichaelH

Is there a "time out" ?

Post by MichaelH »

JohnFP, have you tried clearing your cache and cookies (extreme measure if you have a lot of cookies you use regularly but might be needed) to see if your forum logon settings are causing this?

I believe I told the forum to "remember me" so I don't have to logon each time. That's probably why I don't see the problem.
JohnFP

Is there a "time out" ?

Post by JohnFP »

Yes, but I simply cannot do it every time I come to this site. Sometimes it helps sometimes it does not.
MichaelH

Is there a "time out" ?

Post by MichaelH »

I just logged out and back in to verify the verbiage. Do you recall if you checked the login option that says: "Log me on automatically each visit:" ?
Colin Kaminski

Is there a "time out" ?

Post by Colin Kaminski »

The only cookie is use in under the name http://www.holographyforum.org and you can just delete it without deleting you entire set of cookies. I need the cookie for the session but I don't use the information between sessions with the exception of remembering if you checked the "remember me" box.