Forum Suggestion

This is a place to request new features and report bugs. You can also look here for news regarding the site.
JohnFP

Forum Suggestion

Post by JohnFP »

I have been working with someone who is getting into DCG holography. We exchange e-mails quite often. Basically, he states what he has done, I try to diagnose the problem he is having and try to suggest and avenue to explore to correct the issue.

What we have found, is the exponential increase in information and understanding transfer with the use of pictures and diagrams.

So this brings up two suggestions I have for the forum. The first being his suggestion.

I would be good if we had a Troubleshooting section here on the forum, then have a Trouble/Solution section on the Wiki. And again what he stated and I already believe was most helpful is actual photos. Case in point. To differentiate between wood grain and small movement fringes on the plate is hard to describe without a photo. They can be described as similar but can pretty easily be independently identified with a photo.

This brings up the second suggestion. I do wish it was somehow possible to get the forum to allow direct posting of photos. I think it would surely encourage the increase in photos of all types; good holograms, faulty hologram, set ups, laser profiles...etc. It was a wonderful feature on the old forum and I, and I have heard other state, it is missed.

Sincerely,

John
JohnFP

Forum Suggestion

Post by JohnFP »

My bad, I see a trouble shooting section on the Wiki but it is lacking photos.

If anyone has photos of any of the trouble shooting sections but do not have a server to store the photos on, e-mail them to me with the description and will set up a WikiPhoto section on my web server, load them there and include the photo on the Wiki. Short video clips would also be accepted.

What I see is needed so far, and I could not find this on the web anywhere, is a good photo of wood grain, plate movement fringes and object movement fringes.

Please, let's help get more information in this section.

http://www.holographyforum.org/HoloWiki ... _Holograms
MichaelH

Forum Suggestion

Post by MichaelH »

John,

Images can be uploaded to the wiki. I don't know what the size limit is but that's the ideal place to store them since everything would be together in one place.
JohnFP

Forum Suggestion

Post by JohnFP »

Yes, I guess that would work if you remember to upload the image there first, find and record or copy the path of the location at the wiki, then start your post here and insert the link to the location. It's sort of the same stuff I have to go through to post a photo here now from my site.

What I was talking about is to be able to do what we were able to do on the old forum, just insert or copy and past a photo from my computer without having to upload it somewhere first. It was really convenient.

Is the problem server storage space or the nature of the forum software?

A picture is worth 1,000 words and the more convenient it is to post a photo here the more I think other will use it. And that will only be a benefit to us all.
MichaelH

Forum Suggestion

Post by MichaelH »

JohnFP wrote:Yes, I guess that would work if you remember to upload the image there first, find and record or copy the path of the location at the wiki, then start your post here and insert the link to the location. It's sort of the same stuff I have to go through to post a photo here now from my site.

John, it's much easier to do it in the wiki. All you do is add the link in the article such as

[image:coollaserimage.jpg]

finish writing your article, save it and click on the each link to upload the image.
JohnFP

Forum Suggestion

Post by JohnFP »

Ok, now I am confused. If I want to upload an image to use here, not on the Wiki, don't I have to click on the Upload File link on the left? Then what is the URL or directory location I use to display the image here in a post, without it being actually displayed in the Wiki content?
JohnFP

Forum Suggestion

Post by JohnFP »

I see I can upload the image using the link on the left called "Upload File". After uploading I get to the image information screen. If I right click on the file name and go to properties then I see the full address location of the file, which I will need to copy and post within my post here.

Believe me, this is not user friendly and not as straight forward and simply copying an image off my local hard drive and pasting it right in my forum post as we could on the old forum.

Sorry to belabor this point but someone on this forum just mentioned in his post that he would have posted a photo but it was not convenient when in the middle of a post. I think he stated something like, I will post a photo when I get time to upload it to utube or something like that. Thus I am not sure if he finally came back an posted the photo or not.
Jem

Forum Suggestion

Post by Jem »

Didn't I hear that Colin is in the process of updating the forum software? Perhaps an uploading feature will be included in the next version, we can always hope :wink:

Over on Photonlexicon there is a brilliant upload method and its really easy to use, like you say sometimes a picture is needed to get a message across easily.

Cheers

Jem
JohnFP

Forum Suggestion

Post by JohnFP »

Thanks for the feedback.

By far the easiest is the copy and paste method. Right click on any image on the internet, you computer or even in a word document and copy it then simply right click in your post and paste.

I believe that is how we did it on the old forum.
John Klayer

Forum Suggestion

Post by John Klayer »

I've wondered too why we can't post pictures directly to the forum without having to use a middle man web site.