Site-related browser-hanging? Not sure.

This is a place to request new features and report bugs. You can also look here for news regarding the site.
favalora

Post by favalora »

Hi -

This is not a big deal to me, but I just wanted to provide a data point in case I'm not alone. I run Safari on my Mac w/OS X 10.4.11. Generally my web-browsing is fairly smooth (my ISP is RCN here in New England). However, over at least the last six months, my browser will enter a state in which it no longer completely load web pages. That is, I go to a URL, and nothing ever shows up in the window. I end up quitting Safari and restarting it.

I am beginning to convince myself that this weird state is triggered by something in this forum's web page. That is, I don't recalling the problem for any OTHER web page. Oddly, it's not repeatable - it happens, I don't know, 50% of the time? (Also, every week or so I need to re-enter my password and username, but that's a different issue.) I can't figure out if it's a vast coincidence, or if the HTML contains something that trips up my AirPort or Safari, or if this is just a red herring.

For example, I had to restart my browser twice in order for this Post a New Topic page to fully load.

-g
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

There is a lot of php code to run this site and it could be that something is conflicting. I was not able to find any bug reports at phpbb.com :(

Keep me posted. Also the site itself will hang from time to time when demand is high but for me is just goes slow. It never stops completely.
favalora

Post by favalora »

Okay. Not a big deal for me; I handle it by restarting Safari. From time to time, the site also "forgets" that I'm logged in. Weird, huh?

g

ps Oh, regarding the "how to ask questions" stuff -- two months ago I wrote a response, but evidently I didn't hit "submit." I thought I did, but the post vanished. I'll have to try again sometime.
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Perhaps you hit save instead. Check the User Control Panel to see if you have drafts. The site forgets that I am logged in sometimes as well. We get a lot of pressure from hackers into phpbb3 perhaps the board forgets when a hacker tries to login as one of the users. At least that has been my best theory.