Possible to arrange for larger avatar images?

This is a place to request new features and report bugs. You can also look here for news regarding the site.
Justin W

Post by Justin W »

Howdy Colin,

Hey brother, I have at least a few swell photographs of some holograms I've made that I would love to use as an avatar on this forum...
but the file size allowed is very very restrictive.

I've tried again and again to use my own thumbnailer (irfanview) to reduce the image sizes to the number of pixels permitted, but can only - even after physically reducing the size of the image - get the file size within the perimeters by drastically reducing the image quality when saving the file. A sharp photograph of a sweet hologram, when reduced in size to a few pixels x a few pixels then furthermore reduced in quality until it's a small-enough file basically winds up as a small blur of colored pixels.

I've used websites before that seem to have their own built-in thumbnailer, allowing a user to select a digital image of their own choosing that the site will then render to size without loss of quality. Is it possible to get an arrangement like that going here?

Alternately, can anyone recommend a routine that will help me and possibly other users to get an image within avatar specs?
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I don't have shell access to this server so I can't install Image Magic. I am looking to move all of my hosting to a single server that has shell acess. I hope to have time this winter. If you email me the photo I can adjust it. Or if you tell me what size you are looking for I can expand the file limits.
Justin W

Post by Justin W »

Hi Colin

Thanks for getting back to me. How would be the best way for me to email you a photograph? Should I go through the forum PM or would it be better to use your designerinli... address?
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

designerinlight works.
Justin W

Post by Justin W »

Hi Colin

Email sent w/ attached photograph
Thanks again, bro.