Portrait taken 2/6/2006

This is a place to post pictures of your latest work.
Ron Michael

Portrait taken 2/6/2006

Post by Ron Michael »

Lot of prior work, but satisfying to make and view :D

Details:

30cm x 40cm Agfa 8E75HD film sandwiched between glass sheets. Single mode Ruby laser 1.5joule 12nsec single pulse. Immediately developed in SM-6 then pyrochrome reverse bleach to the nice orange yellow look. Some green shows up at this angle while trying to take picture to minimize the fresnel reflection of the glass. The basic setup info: http://www.rotorwave.com/holo2006.html
Last edited by Ron Michael on Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LarryD

Portrait taken 2/6/2006

Post by LarryD »

Hey Ron-

Thats cool. Did your model need to wear any "weird" colored makeup to avoid the "eerie alien" look you are supposed to get when doing this with a Ruby?
MichaelH

Portrait taken 2/6/2006

Post by MichaelH »

How'd I miss this? Hey! Another local holographer! (Houston's closer than California or New York).

That's very nice. Is it your first with that laser? Tell us more about it and you.
Sergio

Portrait taken 2/6/2006

Post by Sergio »

Amazing,

On the homepage there are resources to build a compact Ruby laser for holography.
Ron Michael

Portrait taken 2/6/2006

Post by Ron Michael »

:D Thanks for the comments.

LarryD, I've not asked anyone to wear makeup, I have seen the waxy look before but in my case these subjects always looked normal.

MichaelH, I'm more laser oriented as I do partime as a consultant at the local engineering college here. I started holograms with pulse back in 2000, and over this time I have tried to create better imaging quality in my work.

Sergio, Any questions on lasers, I'd be happy to answer.
Ron Michael

Portrait taken 2/6/2006

Post by Ron Michael »

A glass plate reflection hologram made also in Feb. 2006. The Agfa 8E75HD plate expired in Feb 2000, but it still made a portrait using the single pulse ruby laser in a dual object beam reflection setup. Beam ratios Ref:Obj:Obj were 5:70:14. Subject was 12 to 14 inches back from the film plate and is holding a fish. SM-6 developed and bleached with pyrochrome. This photo was taken with a non spatial filtered 7mw HeNe laser illumination.

Ron Michael

Portrait taken 2/6/2006

Post by Ron Michael »

My comment is that these photographs of ruby portraits verifies that a ruby laser doesn't have to give you that waxy dead look, etc. That instead, its more of a setup and lighting technique issue than strickly a wavelength issue.
Colin Kaminski

Portrait taken 2/6/2006

Post by Colin Kaminski »

When I first saw this hologram a few months ago I wondered how much her skin tone contributed to your success. I think her skin is beautiful and the lighting is exemplary. I wonder if the disdain in the literature is simply the subjects chosen. I know when doing theater lighting I have to see all of the actors before I pick the colors of the front light. Some combinations favor certain skin tones. Perhaps her skin tone works well with a ruby laser?

What do you think? I hope to someday see this hologram in person.
Ron Michael

Portrait taken 2/6/2006

Post by Ron Michael »

I'm sure it has some effect as I have not had a darker subject yet. But of the lighter complexion people they all seem about the same. I have a few other holograms here with notes.

http://www.rotorwave.com/holo2001.html
Ron Michael

Portrait taken 2/6/2006

Post by Ron Michael »

I never thought about using a video camera to show one

but after being asked about it on this forum, I thought okay

Here is a link to the above glass plate hologram using HDcam

warning a 7.7MB download size for just a few seconds worth.

http://www.rotorwave.com/holo5.mpeg