Finally, I'm getting "brighter"

This is a place to post pictures of your latest work.
Pianomaxx

Post by Pianomaxx »

Hello Holographers,

I am very glad that my single beam-holos on PFG-01 are getting brighter!

I shortened the development time in Pyrogallol to 30sec, and bleaching in KDi only for 1 min. And it seems to me that using distilled water in the rinses really has an effect on the brightness, according to Jeffs entry http://www.holographyforum.org/HoloWiki ... sal_Bleach .

Here are the pictures, lightning with yellow led-light and sunlight. As always, the pictures are a bit unsharp, but the holos not.

Smiley made of magnetic balls: viewed from front

from bottom:

This is the realization of the funny saying "Don't look into laser beam with remaining eye", as you hopefully can see on the pic:

Another view of the shadows and the nicely reflecting background:

But after exhaustive playing with simple single beam holos, I feel it's really time to shift to H1-H2-configurations!

best regards,

Max
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

Max, that's fantastic!!!

I especially like the second one. From the photo I would swear you are pulling wool over our eyes and that is a phoot of the original object with red light and not a hologram.
glajciorz

Post by glajciorz »

Good day.

I like these :)

How much TEA did you use ?

What is the film (?) size ?

greetings

Adam
Pianomaxx

Post by Pianomaxx »

Hello,

Thanks for your appreciation! I am very happy to receive such positive comments from you experienced holographers!

As for the details:

I didnt use any TEA, my colour control in the pyrochrome process is based on different amounts of Sodium Sulfite in the developer, as written by Walter Spierings. Without sodium sulfite, the pyrogallol agent tans the grains in the solution, and prevents the solution from shrinking. Anyway, there is a bit of shrinking, and the replay colour will be orange-red.

Using sodium sulfite helps the solution to shrink and yields a replay-colour in yellow-green. Of course, there is also the different sensitivity of the human eye, which is most sensitive to green. Therefore, the same intensity of yellow appears darker than green.

I guess, I was quite lucky in getting the right reconstruction wavelength for the yellow-LED, but sunlight is also perfect.

The plates are standard 2,5''x2,5''-PFG-01-Film-Plates from Integraf/Slavich. Exposure was 2sec with 6mW-HeNe.

best regards,

Max
ErichRose

Post by ErichRose »

Using Pyrochrome developer and by controlling the Sodium Sulfite I was able to shift all the way into the deep blue. This was starting from HeNe red. At one point I had a full set of probably 8 to 10 plates between red and blue green plus the one deep blue. Unfortunately some of them were sold so I don't have the full sweep anymore.

The deep blue was pretty cool. I made a double exposure of the glasses w/baby series where the glasses and background were deep blue and the baby deep red. Unfortunately the blue was not bright enough. I realized I needed to make the object/artwork extra bright to read well in blue but never got around to testing it. Definitely on my new list of projects.
ErichRose

Post by ErichRose »

Here is the deep blue & red "sun glasses w/baby."

Forgot completey that I had it on my Flickr page.
Pianomaxx

Post by Pianomaxx »

Hi Erich,

interesting to hear that the color control of sodium sulfite is so powerful!

But how did you achieve red and blue in one holo with a double exposure?

I mean, you couldnt process one part of the holo only, and then the other, could you? Or did you use two masters, one of the object and one of the background?

best regards,

Max
ErichRose

Post by ErichRose »

Me bad! that blue was not achieved with sodium sulfite. Well that will teach me to trust my memory from 20 years ago! BUT the good news is that I did take good notes back then. So now that I am at home I can refer to them. The hologram above was a double exposure single beam. The color shifting was done with triethanolamine. The plate is Agfa 8E75HD. The baby was shot without the trieth pre-swelling, 10 seconds. The glasses were soaked in a 15% trieth solution, dried, squeegeed and exposed for 5 seconds. The trieth made the emulsion more sensitive and exposures had to be adjusted. There was also a 6 degree difference in the "reference" angle. The technique was based on an article "Pseudo-Color Reflection", by Lon Moore...1982? What my notes don't tell me is the length of the trieth soak, although I am pretty sure it was 2 minutes. I'm sure I was following Lon's article and I will have to dig it back up.

In going through my old notes I did find references to the deepest colors I achieved with sodium metabisulfite added to Pyrochrome. That was a deep green, almost blue but not quite. The confusion came because I was mixing the techniques. I started messing with Trieth in an attempt to fill out the lower end of the spectrum.