Minimum - resources MBDCG

This is a place to post pictures of your latest work.
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

RaulBSP wrote:
dave battin wrote:most drug stores in the states can get the 99%ALC. with a day notice.
Could the pharmacy's in cuba do the same ???
Things are not the same in Cuba as in the States. Here is difficult to find high quality ethanol even in a pharmacy.
Therefore Techspray 99.8% isopropyl alcohol may be a good dream.

Does cars in Cuba use ethanol combustible? Maybe a source.
RaulBSP

Post by RaulBSP »

glajciorz wrote:Raul, what was the exposure time, beam diameter (is the ring around the coins a trace of a beam - I'm curious about sensitivity) ?
Did you use raw or colimated beam ?
How long did the plate stayed unexposed (dark reaction) ?
What was the swelling bath temperature ?

Exposure time was 2 min, colimated beam diameter 4 cm (the ring around).

Swelling bath temperature 30 - 35 celsius with no variation in resultates.

Plates stayed unexposed 3 - 4 days without change in sensitivity.

Thanks to all you guys for advices and encouragement.

Saludos,

Raúl.
Tom B.

Post by Tom B. »

It would be nice to find an alternative electron donor to TMG that's easier to obtain. Or other ways to increase MB DCG sensitivity. I suspect (without actual chemical knowledge to back it up) that the chemistry here has not really been thoroughly explored and there could be chemicals that have similar or even better effects.

A way of quickly screening large numbers of alternative MB accelerants without having to make a hologram each time would be helpful. One thought is to prepare an MBDCG gelatine substrate, then lay down a grid of dots of various candidate compounds, expose (after drying) to bright red light and swell in water, inspecting the relief pattern by reflected light. Those dots that swell least have been hardened most and could be investigated further.

Here in Canada isopropanol 99+% is available in almost all drugstores and supermarkets. I recall hearing that antidrug hysteria has resulted in lesser availability in the US (it's reportedly useful in making methamphetamine, I think). This is an interesting challenge in itself - is there a DCG drying technique that doesn't require pure alcohol? Maybe alcohol + microwave (one silly idea)
Martin

Post by Martin »

RaulBSP wrote:This is my first viewable hologram I've ever done. It is very dim (there are 10 cents coins), I suspect
due to the alcohol poor quality. (ethyl alcohol, 90%). Initially, when the alcohol is still wet, hologram is very bright and golden color. Then, as it dries, it becomes like in the photo.

If you had access to acetone, you could use it as the final bath subsequent to the 90% ethyl alcohol...
Hans

Post by Hans »

I am very impressed with this result. How long did you expose?

Yes, acetone should work to dry the hologram. The result will likely be slightly dimmer and more narrow band, but it should work.
Joe Farina

Post by Joe Farina »

Tom B. wrote:I suspect (without actual chemical knowledge to back it up) that the chemistry here has not really been thoroughly explored and there could be chemicals that have similar or even better effects.
I couldn't agree more. It seems that only a handful of people (with enough knowledge of the chemistry) have made a sustained effort to increase the sensitivity of MBDCG. Ever since Blyth introduced TMG, others seem to have simply added to this system, without introducing anything really new. (While there is a huge amount of published literature on standard DCG, there is comparatively little regarding dye-sensitized DCG.)

By the way, in what form is alcohol available in Canadian supermarkets? The best kind of alcohol available "off the shelf" here in Michigan is 91% IPA (at pharmacies).
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

"I suspect

due to the alcohol poor quality. (ethyl alcohol, 90%). Initially, when the alcohol is still wet, hologram is very bright and golden color. Then, as it dries, it becomes like in the photo. "

have you tried processing in a last hot alch bath ? If its hot this may (or may not) help. its possible the hologram might come out very streaky/blotchy ,but it should have some color..............
Hans

Post by Hans »

You could try to seal the hologram quickly while it is still at it's brightest. Perhaps with a glass plate and some kind of water proof glue at the edges or thin rubber strip.
RaulBSP

Post by RaulBSP »

Hans wrote:You could try to seal the hologram quickly while it is still at it's brightest. Perhaps with a glass plate and some kind of water proof glue at the edges or thin rubber strip.

I did it yesterday. I put wet plate, emulsion side on a transparency sheet, to seal it. 24 hours after, hologram remains bright. Transparency sticks to

the emulsion without glue or anything else.

May be we discovered a new (wet not thermal) developing method?

I will give it to stay several days to see how long it lasts without deterioration.

Here is the photo, right from the bath. Drops are still visible.

Exposure time was 1 min, beam diameter 4.5 cm, power 50mw. That gives about 200mj/cm2. It is 4 times less sensitive then emulsion with TMG,

but is in the same order than standard DCG sensitivity to green!

Saludos,

Raúl.
glajciorz

Post by glajciorz »

Exposure time was 1 min, beam diameter 4.5 cm, power 50mw.

Good day.

By the way guys, did you notice any evidence of "sliced bread" with this power, this exposure time and non-TEC diode ? Interesting, huh ?

Good job, Raul.

greetings

Adam