my first ones!

This is a place to post pictures of your latest work.
d paul

my first ones!

Post by d paul »

m Hello everybody

Here are a few of the holos I ve shot so far.

[/img]http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/e.nATZ4a ... bylHEO[img]

This was of an tube I had around the basement. single-beam reflection about 30 sec exposure .

[/img]http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/e.nATZ4a ... fw_qgC[img]

This came out really well. I was really happy when the image came out. About 30-35 sec exposure, single beam reflection.

[/img]http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/e.nATZ4a ... XOUJmr[img]

This was a double beam transmission shot which shows the problem I am having with the new batch of film. The picture is much brighter than the rest.

These were shot with a diode laser which is stable some of the time.It mode hops which isn't good for a long exposure. Power about 20mw

I developed in gp-2 (15ml+400ml d water)for 15-20 min, then dehydrated in 70% and 99% IPA for 3 min each. This is the lippmann emulsion I had been using ; I had a plate, a laser,and a figurine, I figured why not try it? and i'm glad I did.

Hope you like them .

rob
Kaveh

my first ones!

Post by Kaveh »

Links not working. Could you repost? Use the Preview button to check links are correct please.
Tom B.

my first ones!

Post by Tom B. »

The images didn't show up. I tried copy pasting the links to my (Mozilla) browser address field with and without the text after .pdf and with and without the us.a2 prefix but still no luck... (URL not found)
d paul

my first ones!

Post by d paul »

hi there

Sorry about the missing pictures. I will try again tonite.

rob
d paul

my first ones!

Post by d paul »

Hello again

Let's see if this works.

this was the the first holo I ever did

as you see it went really well It was a vacuum tube I had around. The innards and the label are visible

This is my favorite to date

These were done with the Lippmann type plates I had made previously

developed in gp-2 15ml+400ml dh2o for 20 min, then run thru 50% and 90% alcohol for 3 min.

With the new batch of plates (same type emulsion), they are coming out like this now

Here there was"bread -slice" pattern from mode hopping (and reflections from the edge as well)

Here was a two beam reflection attempt . with gp-2 but with 70% and 91 % alcohol for 3 min. The image is brighter,but there is that silver coating obscuring the images. Why this is , I do not know other than it may be my coating methods are not up to snuff. I have used Meyer bars and plain bars, and am now thinking of first using a flat bar and then spinning the plate to even the coating. I was also thinking of changing the developer

I hope you like my efforts up to now.(My camera skills don't do justice to the holograms). Once I get a better laser and a bigger table ( I am using a 24inx24in chunk of granite countertop and a red diode laser) I can worry more about the emulsion end of the business.

best wishes

rob
Tom B.

my first ones!

Post by Tom B. »

Interesting! So what got you into homemade silver halide emulsions and the unusual (to me) GP-2 + alcohol development method? This is not the usual beginner's path :)
JohnFP

my first ones!

Post by JohnFP »

Rob, keep up the good work!
d paul

my first ones!

Post by d paul »

Tom B. wrote:Interesting! So what got you into homemade silver halide emulsions and the unusual (to me) GP-2 + alcohol development method? This is not the usual beginner's path :)
One day I found a book on old color photographic processes,and in it was a description of the Lippmann process and a sample photo. Once I saw that I just had to try it out. I thought that maybe holographic film would fit the bill and once I found Jeff Blyths paper on diffusion coating plates online, he lead me to Darren Green, and the rest is history. Darren recomended the gp-2 developer, and the alcohol treatment afterwards was in a paper by Marc Frouier(forgive the spelling)

It's the process as a whole, wtih the image as a final result that really pays off( I still remember how WOW! I felt when the first decent ones came out) --

How long have you been doing holography? what kind of lab? I use a (small)bathroom in the basement.

rob
Tom B.

my first ones!

Post by Tom B. »

d paul wrote:How long have you been doing holography? what kind of lab? I use a (small)bathroom in the basement.
rob

Thanks for the history!

I was going to say I've been doing it "a few years" but then I checked my gallery and my first hologram was from 2001. My how time flies.

I have a crude homemade diode laser setup with 8" collimator in my unheated half-basement. I do initial holo development and distilled water rinse in the basement in plastic Lock&Lock containers, then bring them upstairs to the bathroom for a more thorough tapwater rinse, followed by bleach etc.
glajciorz

my first ones!

Post by glajciorz »

Tom B. wrote:Interesting! So what got you into homemade silver halide emulsions and the unusual (to me) GP-2 + alcohol development method? This is not the usual beginner's path :)

Good day.

And what is the usual beginner's path, Tom ? :)

I agree the connection DIY plates with GP-2 developer is unusual for me too, because I began with DIY plates (SM-635 doesn't count) and metol-ascorbate developer, not GP-2 :lol:

Paul, you don't bleach your holograms, right ?

greetings

Adam