my first ones!

This is a place to post pictures of your latest work.
d paul

my first ones!

Post by d paul »

glajciorz wrote:
Tom B. wrote:Interesting! So what got you into homemade silver halide emulsions and the unusual (to me) GP-2 + alcohol development method? This is not the usual beginner's path :)
Good day.
And what is the usual beginner's path, Tom ? :)
I agree the connection DIY plates with GP-2 developer is unusual for me too, because I began with DIY plates (SM-635 doesn't count) and metol-ascorbate developer, not GP-2 :lol:
Paul, you don't bleach your holograms, right ?

greetings
Adam

Hi Adam

No I don't bleach the holos. I was thinking of trying out a ascorbate/phenidone developer and a rehalogenating bleach ,but I want to get the plates more uniform before I change anything else.

Tom

Well I have water laid on, but I have to share space with a lot of metal shop tools, two turtles, and my wife, so it's hard to turn around there sometimes. I have only been doing the film work for about a year, and the holography for maybe 6 months. I did upgrade to a hene laser, so things should literally get brighter soon

rob
Hans

my first ones!

Post by Hans »

Great results!

Will you share how you made the emulsion? How much gelatin/AgNO3/LiBr? What dye did you use. Was it diffusion or did you mix in the gelatin? Did you use a hardener? Did you harden during mixing or afterwards?
Hans

my first ones!

Post by Hans »

Oops, I am sorry. I just noticed that you posted the recipe in another post. I'm sorry... :)
dave battin

my first ones!

Post by dave battin »

rob great work. its always very tough in the beginning. it looks as if you have a large varation of hardness across the plate, can you spread your beam out a little more?

keep up the good work !
d paul

my first ones!

Post by d paul »

dave battin wrote:rob great work. its always very tough in the beginning. it looks as if you have a large varation of hardness across the plate, can you spread your beam out a little more?

keep up the good work !
Hi Dave

It's more like an actual variation in the coating thickness on the plate itself. I want to try spinning the plates after I coat them and see if this evens them up. The beam is spread out to the edges of the plate already

rob
dave battin

my first ones!

Post by dave battin »

ok rob , can you make larger plates and then cut them up this would help. the mold coating method seems to give the most even coating, you might think to give it a try ...... good luck and keep going !
d paul

my first ones!

Post by d paul »

Hi Dave

Does mold coating work for silver halide as well as MBDCG? Right now,I'm trying to get a piece of granite for a bigger (3x5) table. Prices are ok ,but getting over there is tough. Also put together a spatial filter,and need to order a pinhole from Edmunds to try it out

rob
Hans

my first ones!

Post by Hans »

Does mold coating work for silver halide as well as MBDCG?
It sure does. But, although mold coating creates very smooth surfaces, the thickness of the gelatin will vary with the curvature of the glass (unless you use very flat glass, which is hard to find). DCG and MBDCG are much more forgiving with respect to gelatin thickness than pre-mixed silver emulsions. As far as I know, the diffusion method is also forgiving to gelatin thickness because the depth of the AgBr crystals depends on diffusion time rather than gelatin thickness.

I got the most even thickness with a 2% gelatin solution and some wetting agent added. Then take a piece of glass and stick one layer of Scotch tape to the sides, thus creating something to hold a puddle. Then pour the emulsion onto the glass (glass mut be very horizontal) and spread it even with a bar. Then allow to gel and dry. With an interferometric test I measured a thickness of 7um with variation of maximum 1um across the plate.
d paul

my first ones!

Post by d paul »

Dear Hans

I've tried bar coating,and it just dosen't settle to a consistent layer for me. once the plates are coated, I lay them out on a glass table top(levelled out) to gel up.

Mold coating seems to be consistent once I get past the first couple, and spinning them after I bar coat gives even,thin films(but maybe too thin)

I guess what I have to do is try out all three methods and see what works for me. At least glass is inexpensive, and I can coat a lot of plates with one run of emulsion. Adding a couple of drops of wetting agent sounds useful(I use photo-flo 200)

rob
Colin Kaminski

my first ones!

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Hans, can you write up a short description of your interferomic measuring set up for gelatin thickness?

I find it is easier to bar coat if the glass is warmed in an oven. Bar temp, oven temp and gelatin temp are all important.