2007 contest holograms

This is a place to post pictures of your latest work.
dave battin

2007 contest holograms

Post by dave battin »

The hologram “Forever Friends” is an Denisyuk DCG H2 shadow gram, it size is 3”x2 3/4” I found the color variation seen was due to the center of the hologram being a little to hot, for most holograms I would normally enlarge the diameter of the beam to even things out, with this variation it gives this image a primitive feeling . The film used to make both H1 andH2 was made by me and is a “green hologram” as the glass I used to seal and make the film was recycled (no not from old holograms), but from the salvation army where they are very happy to give me glass from there broken/chipped pictures for nothing. Just prior to the exposure I lightly touched the two friends to make sure they would appear as a black shadowy type images. Primarily meant for desk or table top viewing and includes a mahogany stand.

The hologram “Peace Within Reach” is a Denisyuk DCG H1 hologram; its size is 5” square and its reference was shot diagonally across the plate, requiring this hologram to be hung diagonally and was made using a total of three exposures. The two hand converging on each other are actually a double exposure of one hand shot and flipping the plate between exposures, originally I thought they would look like they were about to shake, but viewing the holoimage they looked more like one hand was reaching for the other, the central image where these hand converge to is a symbol of peace, easily recognized message by all. Again this hologram is a “green hologram as well. The images used in this hologram were sculpted by me as well as the matting used to mount both of these contest holograms

Tom B.

2007 contest holograms

Post by Tom B. »

I don't see the images, maybe that's best. I got the impression from Colin's post that he wanted to wait until all
entries were received (some coming from Europe) before he looked at them. For objective comparison I can see
how time order of viewing could affect judgment. I'm willing to wait too. I don't think it was discussed, but it would
be best to have one person reasonably skilled in photographing holos take pictures of all the entries and post the
resulting pics (with lighting, camera and exposure details) along with the contest results. Then I'll feel free to post
my own pic, showing how my magnificent hologram SHOULD have been photographed :roll: .
Jem

2007 contest holograms

Post by Jem »

Just a quick post to apologise for the lack of an entry from myself. I had intended to send in an entry but I have been having many medical tests done for a suspected cardiac problem, obviously this has been occupying my mind recently. Anyhow, the tests are now concluded and i'm pleased to say that all is well, and apart from a bit of unusual plumbing in my ticker. With that weight off my mind I hope to get back to the hobby.

Sorry Colin, but I will try again next time. I'm looking forward to seeing all the entries, i'm sure they will be much better than anything I could produce.

Cheers

Jem
MichaelH

2007 contest holograms

Post by MichaelH »

Next to that, my reason for not entering is lame. I just didn't have enough free time what with work and "real life" taking all of it. I was able to finish the basic model but had no time for shooting.
dave battin

2007 contest holograms

Post by dave battin »

Tom B. wrote:I don't see the images, maybe that's best. I got the impression from Colin's post that he wanted to wait until all entries were received .
yes you are correct tom ,as it was never my intent to show my holograms befor thier time. this post was really made as a discription for my contest holograms for the judges to read and to possibly stirr a little energy into the end of the contest. i wll eventually post my pictures in the spaces provided above.
Tom B.

2007 contest holograms

Post by Tom B. »

Dave B: "yes you are correct tom ,as it was never my intent to show my holograms before their time."
My apologies if I seemed uptight - I don't run the contest and don't really know what is appropriate here. My bias is to deferring all info,
other than the fact that one has entered, until the closing bell, which could be variously defined as the end of entry period or until judgment
day. It's debatable. Myself I like surprises so I'll go with the latter.

Anyway, best wishes on your entries!
dave battin

2007 contest holograms

Post by dave battin »

ok ive uploaded my two ..
dave battin

2007 contest holograms

Post by dave battin »

here's dannys entry

to see how this hologram was made, follow the link below

http://www.martymouse.net/happyfeet/