Fiber Optic Hologram

This is a place to post pictures of your latest work.
Jem

Fiber Optic Hologram

Post by Jem »

Hi all

As a few of the members here are aware, i'm experimenting with using fiber optics to make holograms. Sadly, I had to put things on hold for a while due to ill health. However, despite more health problems over the Christmas and new year period I did manage to get into my workshop briefly.

To be quite honest I wasn't really in the mood but I decided to shoot a hologram just for the hell of it. I have a few Colorholographic BB silver halide plates, so I just took one out and stood it in a bit of old heatsink material as a plateholder, I stuck the nearest thing to hand behind it, which was an old hosepipe connector. I fired the C315m through a beamsplitter with half the beam going through a spatial filter straight onto the plate and the other half of the beam going through a fiber launcher and into a 6um single mode fiber, I used this beam from the fiber for extra object illumination.

All the setup and exposure was done on my benchtop with only an innertube and a small slab of granite for stability underneath the 'plateholder', the laser and optics were on a small breadboard totally separate to the plateholder. Notethe fiber launcher is carefully balanced on a piece of foam :shock: :lol:

I exposed for three seconds and developed in Pyro, and then bleached in EDTA.

I didn't have any great expectations of getting any sort of image, everything was what I would call 'slapdash' . The angles were all wrong, the stability was terrible and my home brew fiber launcher is nothing special. Anyway, I was really surprised with the following result! Considering that I didn't even pre-sensitise the plate I don't think the end result is too bad, the image is nice and deep. If anything I think the exposure may have been a little short and not presensitising the plate wouldn't have helped either.

This has inspired me no end, I am now eager to continue with my quest for a full fiber optic setup so that I can operate on a small table. :D
Hologram.jpg
Hologram.jpg (213.62 KiB) Viewed 3833 times
Setup.jpg
Setup.jpg (212.15 KiB) Viewed 3830 times
More results and pictures of the setup will follow as I progress.

Cheers

Jem
bernardb

Fiber Optic Hologram

Post by bernardb »

Fascinating...please do show us more.

Bernard :D
dave battin

Fiber Optic Hologram

Post by dave battin »

nice work jem! and just think some said it could'nt be done ..........
Jem

Fiber Optic Hologram

Post by Jem »

dave battin wrote:nice work jem! and just think some said it could'nt be done ..........
Thanks Dave.

What's really blown me away about this though is that I literally felt awful when I set this up. I just did it for something to do as i'd been in bed for a few days and was bored out of my skull. I really didn't take any care at all, even the settling time was no more than a couple of minutes!

It was just an exercise for my mind, and if it had turned out blank it wouldn't really have mattered. It occured to me afterwards that I hadn't even bothered to check the polarisation of the object beam coming out of the fiber!! guess I just got lucky on that one. I now can't wait to get back to full health and more experimenting.

As for those who said it couldn't be done... I think that most had tried it many years ago and failed. Perhaps on this occasion the stability and coherence length of the Compass 315m helped... a lot ;)

I could now do with some more fiber launchers... If anyone is selling any please let me know.

Cheers

Jem
John Klayer

Fiber Optic Hologram

Post by John Klayer »

Try using the fiber for the reference beam. It works.
Jem

Fiber Optic Hologram

Post by Jem »

John Klayer wrote:Try using the fiber for the reference beam. It works.
Thanks John, I most certainly will. I don't know why but I just find the whole fiber thing quite exciting (sad, I Know :oops: ).

I just need to get back to full health and there'll be no stopping me :lol:

Cheers

Jem
Colin Kaminski

Fiber Optic Hologram

Post by Colin Kaminski »

[quote="Jem]I just need to get back to full health and there'll be no stopping me :lol: [/quote]

Health to you!
John Klayer

Fiber Optic Hologram

Post by John Klayer »

Here is a picture of a set up using a multimode fiber for the reference.
Attachments
Set up for posting.jpg
Set up for posting.jpg (43.81 KiB) Viewed 3530 times