I'm So Blue

This is a place to post pictures of your latest work.
Dutchelm05

I'm So Blue

Post by Dutchelm05 »

Hey all,

I shot like 12 plates this weekend. I can't claim any concrete conclution but I will get the breakdown of data. I am attempting photos as well as a summary and hope to get out tomorrow.

Just a snap shot of one of my plates were I had to wipe my little daugthers butt in between the water bath and the IPA bath. Play catch with my son while the plate was settling and attempt some meaningful conversation with my wife that usually ended with "honey hold that thought, my settling time is done". Ahhh the life of a modern day holographer :)
JohnFP

I'm So Blue

Post by JohnFP »

Just a snap shot of one of my plates were I had to wipe my little daugthers butt in between the water bath and the IPA bath. Play catch with my son while the plate was settling and attempt some meaningful conversation with my wife that usually ended with "honey hold that thought, my settling time is done". Ahhh the life of a modern day holographer
ROTFLOL!
Dutchelm05

I'm So Blue

Post by Dutchelm05 »

Good Morning all,
First please excuse my photos. One day I will invest time in figuring this out but I hope it give everyone a flavor of what might be going on. If you need me to retake any, let me know.
So the problem was in my previous session I was get this hazy blue green "haze scatter greenies" on my hologram. I was just getting a feel for my MG 457nm laser.

The first thing I did was to rotate my laser 90 degrees because as Danny said, it is not the same polarization as my C532nm. I then set it up for Brewsters.

This left me a big problem ( as I see the possibility of closing the loop neatly slip away :evil: ). Since the beam is elliptical, I now had a horizontal expanded beam rather than vertical. Not only that but with me 5mm objective lens and the size of my table, I can only expand the beam to about the size of my plate (I am working to remedy this soon). So I opted to find a similar object with about the same material and texture as the old guy I used before.

All post exposure processes were the same. 30-40 second fixer. 90' F IPAs and 110' F IPA final.

I made fresh film and shot some of these with 4 hour film. I made a batch of 2.5-12-100 and 1-12-100. I then tried a bracket exposure to see where I need to be. I did 2, 5, 10, 20 and 30 seconds. I did not photographic it but clearly the 20 second exposure was the clearest and brightest. This is the same exposure time as the old man hologram of last week. As you can see, it has much less "scatter" then the earlier work. I shot three of these in a row just to make sure there was some consistency and there was. I then, for the sake of science, placed the old man horizontally just to make sure it was not the material. As you can see it is also less "scattery".

I then thought why not try something flat just to see if it reveals anything. So I tried coins. As I hope you can see, there are still some green areas, but no crazy noise.

So the scatter was reduced, but not completely gone. Do you have any thoughts?
Sorry again about the photo's the imagaes are much niced than these show.
Attachments
DSC00336.JPG
DSC00336.JPG (31.86 KiB) Viewed 2977 times
DSC00338.JPG
DSC00338.JPG (28.5 KiB) Viewed 2978 times
Girl3.jpg
Girl3.jpg (28.66 KiB) Viewed 2978 times
Joe Farina

I'm So Blue

Post by Joe Farina »

Hey Tony. Were you getting less "haze" when you were using 1g of dichromate rather than 2.5g?

At least these holograms are looking nice and brilliant, which is what you expect with DCG. What is the main problem at this point? It's difficult to tell from photos. Is it the haze, or color variation?

Maybe some of us can get together in the future to discuss DCG via Skype. (By the way, I wouldn't want to participate if the subject is "holography" because this includes a universe of topics which I'm not interested in. For example, I don't want to sit through a long discussion of "Sand versus Steel" or something inane like that.)

For people in the US, Skype "pro" is $36 per year, so you have unlimited call time for other people in the US. All you need to do is buy a set of headphones/microphone for around $15 to $25, buy a year's subscription to Skype "pro" (they accept PayPal, so it's very easy) then we can all jabber 'til we're blue in the face. I had a nice discussion with Danny the other day.
Dutchelm05

I'm So Blue

Post by Dutchelm05 »

Joe Farina wrote:What is the main problem at this point? It's difficult to tell from photos. Is it the haze, or color variation?
Hey Joe, thanks for the reply.
Well if you look at the first phot from last week the whole hologram has this blue/green scatter. The objective was to try to find out what happened.

So, these three were done with the same emulsion receipe 2.5-12-100 ( I have some data with 1-12-100 which will be a different topic and has low scatter as well). So one might conclude that the exposure time was the same as last week with the only difference being the plate shot at Brewster's and the correct polarization. But as you can see it is still somewhat there. As with most things, the loop is not completely closed but it may not be a far strech to assume it was mainly from poor polarization. But as John say (and I know from experience) that wrong brewster's is a wood grain look. But perhaps at this wavelenght something else might be occuring as Danny suggested. :|
Dutchelm05

I'm So Blue

Post by Dutchelm05 »

Joe Farina wrote:Maybe some of us can get together in the future to discuss DCG via Skype. (By the way, I wouldn't want to participate if the subject is "holography" because this includes a universe of topics which I'm not interested in. For example, I don't want to sit through a long discussion of "Sand versus Steel" or something inane like that.)

For people in the US, Skype "pro" is $36 per year, so you have unlimited call time for other people in the US. All you need to do is buy a set of headphones/microphone for around $15 to $25, buy a year's subscription to Skype "pro" (they accept PayPal, so it's very easy) then we can all jabber 'til we're blue in the face. I had a nice discussion with Danny the other day.
I wouldn't mind investing the money to do this but would like to know if there will be more than one conversation on DCG.
Joe Farina

I'm So Blue

Post by Joe Farina »

Dutchelm05 wrote:I wouldn't mind investing the money to do this but would like to know if there will be more than one conversation on DCG.
Personally I would be in favor of a (say for example) monthly Skype discussion on practical display DCG. I'm not sure how many people are really committed to this type of holography (I.e., high-quality display DCG, with an emphasis on high-quality). I only know of a few on this forum. I'm sure there are others, but a lot of people are interested in DCG as part of their wider interest in holography, which in turn is part of their wider interest in science. These latter people are typcially here today and gone tomorrow.

DCG is tough, no doubt about it, and a lot of the other stuff relating to holography in general, and science in general, very often serves as a distraction. That's why I would want to limit the Skype "conference calls" to practical display DCG.
JohnFP

I'm So Blue

Post by JohnFP »

What is it with the bought Skype version that is needed, I have been using the free version.

Joe I added you but my computer crashed right after I added you. I just got it back from getting the mother board replaced too...

I am in for a DCG discussion.
Joe Farina

I'm So Blue

Post by Joe Farina »

Hey John. If you can do it for free, so much the better. I didn't read the terms very closely, but just paying the yearly 36 bucks seemed like any easy way to go. When I first got connected, I tried to contact you, Colin, and Danny, to say hello. My skype name is: josephfarina
Danny Bee

I'm So Blue

Post by Danny Bee »

Joe Farina wrote:Hey John. If you can do it for free, so much the better. I didn't read the terms very closely, but just paying the yearly 36 bucks seemed like any easy way to go. When I first got connected, I tried to contact you, Colin, and Danny, to say hello. My skype name is: josephfarina
pc to pc its free..... pc to land line (phone) or land line to pc it cost :D