Holos from yesterday

This is a place to post pictures of your latest work.
Danny Bee

Holos from yesterday

Post by Danny Bee »

JohnFP wrote:
Danny wrote:hey john when are you going to continue your testing on this?
it is better that he stick with Rapid Fixer for a time. till you work out all the bugs and give us the skinny on it your so good at testing John
Danny, why are you discouraging using safer and simpler to obtain chemicals with the added benifit of being able to control reducing and hardening separate? Do you not understand that SM and ALum are exacly the two chemicals needed and all the other "Stuff" in the rapid fixer is not needed?

I think he is doing great and it is not the fixer but the gelatin that needs attention to.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pablo, Bloom is a standard relative measurement and it is basically how hard the gelatin will get over a specific time period. So if you let a low bloom gelatin emulsion set for 24 hours, it may only get as hard as a high bloom gelatin emulion of only 4 hours old.

The reason I ask is this makes a BIG difference. And I would hate to see you buy photo grade gelatin, only to have it get too hard too quick for you. But the good news is, if you have your existing, what I believe to be low bloom gelatin, and you get some photo grade, which I believe will be high bloom gelatin, you can mix the two to get the desired bloom strength. This is why I asked if you could contact the producer of your food grade gelatin and the producer of the photo grade gelatin and find out the blooms of each. I find that a bloom about 210-220 is easiest to work with.

If you tell me the name and brand of the food gelatin you use now and the photographic gelatin you plan to use, I can do some research for you and try to help you find out the blooms of each. :wink:
just like 7son said ,start with what works first , leaner to control your front end varibles first, i dont believe in algore. I have used fixer for years and its a good place for beginners to start with in dcg.
dave battin

Holos from yesterday

Post by dave battin »

JohnFP wrote:Danny, why are you discouraging using safer and simpler to obtain chemicals with the added benefit of being able to control reducing and hardening separate? Do you not understand that SM and ALum are exactly the two chemicals needed and all the other "Stuff" in the rapid fixer is not needed?
i understand Danny’s point here, if a variable can be eliminated when you are learning to do DCG holography i would encourage this, ( i too use only Kodak rapid fix). later on when the results are good , then try to vary your procedure.
john you should be able to understand that, you encourage the newbie to DCG to try this "homemade" fixer, meanwhile the guy is pulling his hair out trying to make it work.............. there is no doubt john, you can make good dcg holograms, but ive yet to see a good quality (made by anyone), from the SM and ALum mix. john can you show us a hologram you have made from this procedure?

I’m not here to start trouble, i just dont want someone who has the excitement to learn dcg holography, to run into unnecessary blocks along the way.
JohnFP

Holos from yesterday

Post by JohnFP »

OMG, Dave!!! Do either of you follow threads or just like to continue to dis me. Pablo was speifically looking for something easier to obtain as a fixer, I did not coax him in to using the SM and Alum. God bless his initiative for moving foward with DCG even when the Kodak poduct is not readily available in his country. I was mearly trying to help him on the road he choose. Man, I must be living in the twilight zone...

http://holographyforum.org/phpBB2/viewt ... 254#p48946
Hi all,
I woud like to ask about some recipe for the DCG hardener. I know, that formaldehyde can be used, but is there any better and less agressive recepture? I suppose, that most of people use the Kodak rapid fixer with hardener, but it is not in shops here in CZ. Do you have any tips?
dave battin

Holos from yesterday

Post by dave battin »

oh ok, im supposed to follow you broke this post off from another one?

ill ask you again john,have you made any good quality (or any)DCG holograms from this SM and Alum mix?
info.crew

Holos from yesterday

Post by info.crew »

Hey guys,
thanks for your tips. Maybe the Kodak hardener is able to obtain here, but I've never seen that. I didn't ask for it. But I suppose, that profi minilabs are using it, so maybe any wholesale have that. I will ask in some minilab or speciality photoshop.
The possible ways to go are two. Use the old and checked protocols or try some new, cheaper or easier or better. I work in analytical chemistry research, I know well, what is to do every day a new experiment with some little bit changed parameter and the next day try again. Please don't worry about my hair. :D
Colin Kaminski

Holos from yesterday

Post by Colin Kaminski »

JohnFP wrote:Colin, I could not find a section so I added one.
Thank you John!
Danny Bee

Holos from yesterday

Post by Danny Bee »

info.crew wrote:Hey guys,
thanks for your tips. Maybe the Kodak hardener is able to obtain here, but I've never seen that. I didn't ask for it. But I suppose, that profi minilabs are using it, so maybe any wholesale have that. I will ask in some minilab or speciality photoshop.
The possible ways to go are two. Use the old and checked protocols or try some new, cheaper or easier or better. I work in analytical chemistry research, I know well, what is to do every day a new experiment with some little bit changed parameter and the next day try again. Please don't worry about my hair. :D
i did a web search for kodak in your area and came up with this

KODAK GRAPHIC COMMUNICATIONS GROUP - BE

City Waterloo
ZIP 1410
Phone +32/23522506
Fax +32/23522587
Danny Bee

Holos from yesterday

Post by Danny Bee »

also found this link to supplies in your area
http://www.swpp.co.uk/trade/Manufacture ... public.htm