"Light Industry 2010"

This is a place to post pictures of your latest work.
dave battin

"Light Industry 2010"

Post by dave battin »

this is a one shot dcg denisyuk hologram, made with 100mw 532, i was kicking around the idea to use some old Erector set parts to make a jig to hold some plates, and this was what i came up with instead. This is actually just a mock up of the finished peice. i was thinking of weathering the painted frame to look likes been abused a bit. :P Again this was made with the "Dip-N-Shoot" method, which now ive had a week or so to test this system , and from now on it's the only way im going to shoot dcg!

Attachments
"Light Industry 2010"
"Light Industry 2010"
lightindustry.JPG (207.43 KiB) Viewed 8695 times
Dutchelm05

"Light Industry 2010"

Post by Dutchelm05 »

This is very nice Dave.
What do you see as the great advantages using this technique?
Is it mainly a time savings?
The the hologram different in any other way?

All the best,
Tony
dave battin

"Light Industry 2010"

Post by dave battin »

Dutchelm05 wrote:This is very nice Dave.
What do you see as the great advantages using this technique?
Is it mainly a time savings?
The the hologram different in any other way?
Tony
i can see only benefits to using this method.

consistency from batch to batch, during coating, then to have the ability to see in total light the quality of the film's dried surface. The coating is the most critical step (dust wise that is),so it is a big time saver on these terms to do a large amount of coating. Then the ability to have a finer saturation of the plate during sensitization , which will accept more AMDI in the coating before it goes to crystallization. As i stated before, now that i have tried this method i can see why the pros do it this way .............I’m forever a changed man :wall:
Justin W

"Light Industry 2010"

Post by Justin W »

Dave's plates are beautiful - gelatin layer so even that it looks like plain glass, and the hologram quality speaks for itself.
He makes homemade plates that just don't look homemade in the least :clap:
Joe Farina

"Light Industry 2010"

Post by Joe Farina »

Dave, I'm glad you found something that works well for you. Hopefully this means you will be doing more DCG :wink:

I've attached a paper that you might find interesting. When using the dipping method, they had a few problems with what they call sensitiser concentration gradients (i.e., streaking). They found that a certain "draining period" solved this. Not sure if you've seen the same effect, but at least it should make good reading. This publication is a bit off the beaten track, Journal of Physics E: Scientific Instruments 20 (1987).
Attachments
JacobsMarsland2.gif
JacobsMarsland2.gif (140.4 KiB) Viewed 8582 times
JacobsMarsland1.gif
JacobsMarsland1.gif (166.01 KiB) Viewed 8582 times
Dutchelm05

"Light Industry 2010"

Post by Dutchelm05 »

Thanks Dave,

Seems very interesting.
So is this still with using the mold method but using just gelatin? Or is it a dip method?
Or do you mean dip as in dip the plate in AmDi?
My understanding of the dip method is to make a gelatin mix in a vertical tank. Then sandwich two plates of glass and insert in the gelatin. Then draw it out at some rate of speed.
Does the upper portion of the the plate tend to be thinner than the lower?
It would seem gravity would tend to pool the gel on the bottom more so than on the top.

I agree with Joe, it is good to see you back in DCG.

Hope to hear more about this!

Tony
Joe Farina

"Light Industry 2010"

Post by Joe Farina »

Dutchelm05 wrote:Or do you mean dip as in dip the plate in AmDi?
I'm sure that's it, coat with plain gelatin then dip in a dichromate solution.
Danny Bee

"Light Industry 2010"

Post by Danny Bee »

wow Great Joe....
I can see lots of posiblities with is paper,
My wife got a Cricut Expression (arts and craft cutting system) I can see cutting mask,place on plate and brush on glass with mask ...... then sensitizes and expose....endless posiblities wow :angel: thanks Joe
Joe Farina

"Light Industry 2010"

Post by Joe Farina »

You're welcome, Danny. I'm curious about the Cricut system, I've seen it at the store. I may want to use a mask when doing DCG coatings, like a piece of adhesive-backed shelf liner, cut with an x-acto blade. This might help to produce an emulsion layer with repeatable dimensions, and would save time because the gelatin wouldn't have to be cleared from the edges before sealing. Do you see any advantages to the Cricut system?
Danny Bee

"Light Industry 2010"

Post by Danny Bee »

Joe Farina wrote:You're welcome, Danny. I'm curious about the Cricut system, I've seen it at the store. I may want to use a mask when doing DCG coatings, like a piece of adhesive-backed shelf liner, cut with an x-acto blade. This might help to produce an emulsion layer with repeatable dimensions, and would save time because the gelatin wouldn't have to be cleared from the edges before sealing. Do you see any advantages to the Cricut system?
interesting idea .... I got the Cricut system for my wife because she's always wanted to make cards for selling... so i have to take it slow seeing the applications... but ther is 3rd party software that will take clip art graphics for use on the Cricut system and I got that for my wife to use with her Cricut , ther is 2 blades you can get one for papers and other for thicker stuff...I will keep you tuned in as i find more thing out