What do you think aboute our holo's

This is a place to post pictures of your latest work.
sergant1978

Post by sergant1978 »

This link to the gallery of our holo's http://www.abirtech.com/en/gallery.html Please send us you thinks.
bernardb

Post by bernardb »

The website does not seem to function correctly, a lot of the text is still in Russian, it gives an Error 404 when clicking on the link to the portfolio, etc...Needs to be reworked!
Tom B.

Post by Tom B. »

The site was confusing, but I eventually concluded that the galleries were divided between security hologram images and decorative hologlitz patterns. Since my particular expertise is in faux-naive leftfield downtempo art holography, I have no opinion on their merit, but I thought some of the hologlitz was pretty.
bernardb

Post by bernardb »

Tom B. wrote: faux-naive leftfield downtempo art holography
Hi Tom,

Please to put into layman's terms what exactly is this kind of holography? :?:
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I have a higher view of Tom's holograms than he does. The one I have is one of my favorites. He describes his holograms as kitch. This is a Yiddish term that basically means gaudy trash. The one I have is "Fish Dreams" and is a reflection hologram of a cat thinking of a fish.
Tom B.

Post by Tom B. »

In layman's terms, it's using primitive equipment and ironic temperament to make art that I like, sort of a punk do-it-yourself aesthetic. Some examples in my gallery: http://members.shaw.ca/holopix/index.html

The "leftfield downtempo" addition was likely due to recent relistening to Pimp Daddy Nash's acid jazz magnum opus:
http://www.amazon.com/Private-Leftfield ... B000S9ATSG

"Private Leftfield Downtempo Fuzz is a moody, noir-inspired collection of downtempo dance tracks in the tradition of DJ Shadow and Howie B.; although Pimp Daddy Nash is not an innovator of the same caliber, his debut is nevertheless a fresh and inspired work, a smooth assimilation of trip-hop, acid jazz and classic lounge sounds. ~ Jason Ankeny, All Music Guide "

In the cultural field, I think innovation is vastly overrated - execution is everything. Except in the case of Lady Gaga who combines brilliant execution with insipid songwriting.
bernardb

Post by bernardb »

Thanks for the rather complete explanation!

On your website, the holograms are quite amazing! You say you use a diode laser from a DVD player and a power supply and a couple of optics, "nothing fancy"...Do you have a picture of your setup I could see? I am "on the verge" (meaning within several weeks or months) of finishing my own lab here in my basement and could use some ideas about how to set things up.

Thanks!

Bernard
Jeffrey Weil

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

bernardb wrote:On your website, the holograms are quite amazing! You say you use a diode laser from a DVD player and a power supply and a couple of optics, "nothing fancy"..
That site is confusing but what I saw were dot matrix pieces. That's pretty far from a blue ray diode and a couple of optics. Someone forgot to mention a 75,000 to 200,000 dollar machine was also involved.

If there's something other than dot matrix could someone provide a link? That's all I can find.

Jeff Weil
NorthBeach Holography Inc.
Tom B.

Post by Tom B. »

My apologies for unintentionally creating some confusion by sidetracking the discussion - bernardb was referring to my laser diode stuff, not to the original poster's dot matrix site. I'll reply to bernardb outside this thread.