"Itworks" dcg casio hologram

This is a place to post pictures of your latest work.
Dutchelm05

Post by Dutchelm05 »

Really impressive Dave,

How long where these exposures for?
These are 4x5" plates?
If you were using green how long do you think these would have been exposured to?

Thanks,
Tony
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

Dutchelm05 wrote:How long where these exposures for?
These are 4x5" plates?
If you were using green how long do you think these would have been exposured to?
hi Tony are 2x3 slide plates (veil coated)and were shot with a 30 second exposures, this laser is like 1/10 the power of my green laser the exposures would be about the same..........
rzeheb

Post by rzeheb »

Good grief man, you're up early in the morning! :shock:
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

yes Ron i regulary getup @ 5AM to see my wife off to work and the forum clock is 2 hours different when im on? im sure its my settings ...

so who else is building a 445nm unit ? wolfgang, danny, Joe,Thieu, anyone else?
Jeffrey Weil

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

I'm having one built for me. I sometimes help out a laser show company that's here in Miami. The main tech guy is designing a proper driver/tec board and mounting stuff. All very pro and designed for long term use in laser projectors.

I traded him for a milling machine vise.

It won't replace my He/Cd for the photoresist mastering I do. I doubt it'll ever have the power and quality of beam shape the gas laser does. I need perfect everything for embossed holography. The slightest imperfection and it has to be reshoot. When you run one hologram, if it has a tiny spot its no so bad, when you run a million that spot is all you see after a while.

What it will do is allow me to go in my lab to tweak optics and try different setups without firing up the He/Cd. There have been so many times I've wanted to mess about for a bit but didn't because of the time it takes to get the laser running and shut off.

A He/Cd is a metal vapor laser. It's not really good to turn them on for less than an hour before shutdown and it takes 5 or 10 min just to get a beam in the first place. Plus it costs about 10 bucks an hour to run.
emf

Post by emf »

I'll be following along soon to provide that much-needed newbie perspective. It'll be at least a month before I'm making holograms, though. I just moved a few months ago, and it's taking an excruciatingly long time to get a suitable working space set up. After making a few attempts at a homebrew silver emulsion, I'm looking forward to the simplicity of DCG.
Dutchelm05

Post by Dutchelm05 »

[quote="emf"] I'm looking forward to the simplicity of DCG.
quote]

It that an oxymoron ?? :?
Jeffrey Weil

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

It that an oxymoron ?? :?[/quote]

As crazy as it sounds, and it does, I think it's easier to make dcg than silver. Stranger than fiction :-)
Joe Farina

Post by Joe Farina »

Probably the only thing which makes DCG difficult for beginners is coating plates, but once a good method is found, then DCG is in all respects better than silver, assuming one has a decent amount of coherent blue light. The processing is much simpler. From a health standpoint, the only things which need attention are the dichromate and IPA, both of which can be easily controlled. DCG is free from printout, though it does need to be sealed.

Now that blue light seems to be within just about everyone's reach, hopefully DCG will get a boost. Although I probably sound like a broken record, producing plates in quantity, and then refrigerating them, is most helpful for anyone getting into DCG. Having at least 20 plates available over a period of one month is very convenient.
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

Joe, I agree 100%. Tony has sparked my interest in DCG holography again and one thing I will be working on is not so much display holography but research.
The areas of research I want to do are;

Simplicity
Fridge plates as you stated, Single alcohol bath, easy and reproducabe coating method, Simple fixing, et.

Color Tuning
Revisit the color tuning with taking a developed DCG hologram and putting it back into a solution of AmDi and exposing to light to red shift.

Anything else I can think of. :wink: