History of holography

Have a great holography link? Post it here so we can all use it.
Martin

History of holography

Post by Martin »

Here's an interesting paper on the history of holography:

http://eprints.gla.ac.uk/2898/01/absrobing1.pdf

Absorbing new subjects: holography as an analog of photography

by Sean F. Johnston (author of Holographic Visions: A History of New Science, Oxford University Press 2006)

Abstract
I discuss the early history of holography and explore how perceptions, applications, and forecasts of the subject were shaped by prior experience. I focus on the work of Dennis Gabor (1900–1979) in England,Yury N. Denisyuk (b. 1924) in the Soviet Union, and Emmett N. Leith (1927–2005) and Juris Upatnieks (b. 1936) in the United States. I show that the evolution of holography was simultaneously promoted and constrained by its identification as an analog of photography, an association that influenced its assessment by successive audiences of practitioners, entrepreneurs, and consumers. One consequence is that holography can be seen as an example of a modern technical subject that has been shaped by cultural influences more powerfully than generally appreciated. Conversely, the understanding of this new science and technology in terms of an older one helps to explain why the cultural effects of holography have been more muted than anticipated by forecasters between the 1960s and 1990s.
Martin

History of holography

Post by Martin »

Martin wrote:Here's an interesting paper on the history of holography:
http://eprints.gla.ac.uk/2898/01/absrobing1.pdf
Absorbing new subjects: holography as an analog of photography
by Sean F. Johnston (author of Holographic Visions: A History of New Science, Oxford University Press 2006)
Abstract
I discuss the early history of holography and explore how perceptions, applications, and forecasts of the subject were shaped by prior experience. I focus on the work of Dennis Gabor (1900–1979) in England,Yury N. Denisyuk (b. 1924) in the Soviet Union, and Emmett N. Leith (1927–2005) and Juris Upatnieks (b. 1936) in the United States. I show that the evolution of holography was simultaneously promoted and constrained by its identification as an analog of photography, an association that influenced its assessment by successive audiences of practitioners, entrepreneurs, and consumers. One consequence is that holography can be seen as an example of a modern technical subject that has been shaped by cultural influences more powerfully than generally appreciated. Conversely, the understanding of this new science and technology in terms of an older one helps to explain why the cultural effects of holography have been more muted than anticipated by forecasters between the 1960s and 1990s.

And yet another paper: http://www.optics.bas.bg/02_Title%20Pages%20After.pdf
DrOutlier

History of holography

Post by DrOutlier »

8) And remember, the invention of the hologram and the Roswell crash happening around the same time is just a big co-ink-e-dink. :-)
Martin

History of holography

Post by Martin »