Integrams?

Have a great new article on a science related topic? Post it here!
WingedOne

Integrams?

Post by WingedOne »

Has anyone here tried there hand at integral photography or integral computer imaging?

I just read an article from the 1969 November Issue of Applied Optics, titled "Beaded Plate Recording of Integral Photographs", by C. B. Burckhardt and E.T. Doherty which seemed interesting.

Basically, they embedded tiny glass beads into a film plate emulsion and explosed the plate to a virtual image of another integral photograph. They said it could work if you used the virtual image of a hologram, too.

Anyway, I just received a #300 hex lens array yesterday from Fresnel Technologies and I'm going to do some experimenting with it.
Martin

Integrams?

Post by Martin »

WingedOne wrote:Has anyone here tried there hand at integral photography or integral computer imaging?

I just read an article from the 1969 November Issue of Applied Optics, titled "Beaded Plate Recording of Integral Photographs", by C. B. Burckhardt and E.T. Doherty which seemed interesting.

Basically, they embedded tiny glass beads into a film plate emulsion and explosed the plate to a virtual image of another integral photograph. They said it could work if you used the virtual image of a hologram, too.

Anyway, I just received a #300 hex lens array yesterday from Fresnel Technologies and I'm going to do some experimenting with it.

This seems to go back to Gabriel Lippmann. Maybe Colin has put the file (in French) I sent, dealing with integral photography online...
Colin Kaminski

Integrams?

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Martin,

All of the files are there but I need to link to them on the index page. If you remember the name I can provide a link.
Tom B.

Integrams?

Post by Tom B. »

Some background on the Lippmann integral photography link -

http://www.lenstar.org/history/ch2.htm
Martin

Integrams?

Post by Martin »

Colin Kaminski wrote:Martin,

All of the files are there but I need to link to them on the index page. If you remember the name I can provide a link.

Meanwhile, I put the files I sent you into some structure (sorry, I didn't do that earlier – I've been suffering from health problems).

Most papers are from the Comptes rendus hebdomadaires des séances de l'Académie des sciences (CR)

Lippmann photography:

Lippmann CR 1891

Lippmann CR 1892

Lippmann photographie Revue scientifique 1894

Lippmann On Colour Photography by the Interferential Method, Proceedings of the Royal society of London,1897

Lippmann, Photographies en couleurs du spectre négative par transmission, Soc. Française de Physique, 1905

Lippmann Photo interférencielle CR 1906

Lippmann, Des divers principes sur lesquels on peut fonder la photographie directe des couleurs, CR 1906 Tome CXLIII

Lippmann, Nobel lecture 1908

Becquerel, Sur la communication de M. Lippmann, CR 1891

Ives Present condition of color photography, 1912

Labatut, L'absorption et la photographie des couleurs, CR 1891

Anonymous, La découverte de M. Lippmann, Les annales politiques et littéraires, 1891

Meslin Sur la photographie des couleurs, CR 1892

Meslin, Sur les interférences prduites, CR 1906

Ruckert, La photographie des couleurs, Paris 1900

Présentation de Rothé, Photographies en couleurs obtenues par la méthode interférentielle, sans mirioir de mercure, CR 1904

Ponsot Photo interférentielle et polarisation, CR 1906

Leroy, Préparation et sensitométrie de plaques photographiques à grain très fin, 1929

Integral photography:

Lippmann, Epreuves réversibles. Photographies intégrales, CR 1908

Interview avec Lippmann, La photographie en relief est trouvée, Je sais tout, No 037-42, 1908

Other papers by Lippmann
:

Lippmann, Sur la mesure absolue du temps, déduite des lois de l'attraction universelle, CR 1899

Lippmann, Franges d'interférence produites par le système de deux miroirs perpendiculaires entre eux, CR 1905

Lippmann, Appareil pour enregistrer l'accéleration absolue des mouvements sismiques, CR 1909

Lippmann, Méthode pour le réglage d'une lunette en autocollimation, CR 1914

Lippmann, Sur une méthode photographique directe pour la détermination des différences de longitudes, CR 1914
Martin

Integrams?

Post by Martin »

WingedOne wrote: They said it could work if you used the virtual image of a hologram, too.

Yes, I think it's true you can make a hologram from an integral photo.
WingedOne

Integrams?

Post by WingedOne »

I'll have to check out those articles when the links are up.

I tried rendering an image at a resolution of 2000x1600 in Pov-Ray for my test.

Here's a low-res sample of my test image.

With my test, I ended up with about 3 to 4 inches of useable depth and anything beyond that ended up being too fuzzy to make out. The back wall in the room in this image is about 8 inches away. I suppose this had to do with "data loss" with objects that were farther away due to the rendering and print resolution.

I guess if I rendered the image at a higher resolution and print using a better dpi I might get an image with better depth.

I'll try and render at 4000x3200 next time and try printing at a better dpi, too.

I'll try and post some photos of the 3d images being re-constructed with the lens array when I get the chance.

It seemed pretty strange seeing objects that appeared to be embedded deep inside my clipboard when I first tried this out. :)
Colin Kaminski

Integrams?

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Thank you Martin. I will organize this stuff a little and make the new link page here:

http://www.holographyforum.org/HoloWiki ... ann_Papers
WingedOne

Integrams?

Post by WingedOne »

Here's some photographs that I took of another 3D test image that I rendered in POV-Ray being reconstructed using the hexagonal lens array.

Image[/img]
Tom B.

Integrams?

Post by Tom B. »

Hey, that's pretty neat!