Integrams?

Have a great new article on a science related topic? Post it here!
WingedOne

Integrams?

Post by WingedOne »

favalora wrote:Hi -
Did you go through an annoying process of matching your printer's resolution to the exact pitch of the lenses?
Luckily, I didn't need to do any pitch adjustments at all. I just told my printer to print out my image at 8" x 10" size and I was good to go.
favalora wrote:I can post links to the relevant papers if you want.
Yes, please! Thank you. :D
favalora wrote:I never did the raytrace myself, but I am curious if you're actually getting a pseudoscopic image.
I got around that by making the virtual array of lenses in pov-ray reducing lenses rather than magnifying lenses.
favalora wrote:Can you post a movie?
I'll have to work on that.

There might be a way of getting around the diffraction limit with the use of meta-materials, but it's beyond the scope of our current technology, right now. :lol:
MfA

Integrams?

Post by MfA »

The diffraction limit is ~1 um (at the focal length of your current fly eye lens, faster lenses with higher viewing angles would get even smaller diffraction limits). Even if you could get a perfect holographic or hyperbolic lens array with aberrations small enough to get near that, it wouldn't make much sense to use integral images at those kind of resolutions ... easier to just print a holographic fringe image.
holmburgers

Integrams?

Post by holmburgers »

Howdy,

Thought I'd resurrect this topic. I'm really interested in the original poster's mention of "Beaded Plate Recording of Integral Photographs". I haven't read this article yet, but I've already done some research into the beads. The glass beads that are used in airport paint, traffic signs, retroreflective vests, etc, are easily attainable and, I believe, capable of this type of integral photography. I have also inquired to Fresnel Technology but can't really afford the lens sheets (minimum $100 order) at the moment, w/o a joint purchase at least.

Also.... in researching this topic, as some of you might know, there are many, many references to R. Montebello's 'Integrams'. Why is it that NOTHING can be found about them? I'd give my left foot to see one!

Is anyone here making integral photographs? I'm only interested/capable of using analog means, which I don't feel is a limitation really, and I'm not too bothered by image pseudoscopy at the moment, as I think it would still be useful and rewarding for many applications.

Anyways, if you want to talk shop on IP's, please let me know!

Thanks, take care!

Chris H.
holmburgers
Colin Kaminski

Integrams?

Post by Colin Kaminski »

holmburgers

Integrams?

Post by holmburgers »

Thanks for the link. I don't have a subscription to Optics InfoBase but I'm sure I can find it at my local engineering library.

Have you read this? What does it offer?

I'm incredibly curious about MDH Products, the company owned by Roger DeMontebello and producer of Integrams. Is anyone from the Ann Arbor area? For making commercial integral photography supplies and supposedly having some of the best examples, I just can't believe how little info there is, at least online. I'm wondering if there's someplace or someone locally that might know more, or have examples. Hell, is Mr. Montebello still alive?

Cheers
Colin Kaminski

Integrams?

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I have not read the paper. :( This one looks interesting as well:

http://www.opticsinfobase.org/abstract. ... 45-17-4026