Humor?

Have a great new article on a science related topic? Post it here!
Colin Kaminski

Humor?

Post by Colin Kaminski »

DrOutlier

Humor?

Post by DrOutlier »

That's funny. That would really work because black wouldn't appreciably Doppler shift since black is the absence of reflected photons-nothing to shift.

Boy that joke sure makes my red laser blue. :-)
DrOutlier

Humor?

Post by DrOutlier »

Then again, going any direction, such as approaching, at close to the velocity of c would make the bumper sticker look flattened. Never mind.
Kaveh

Humor?

Post by Kaveh »

DrOutlier wrote:Then again, going any direction, such as approaching, at close to the velocity of c would make the bumper sticker look flattened. Never mind.

But too much analysis might spoil the original joke. ;-)
JohnFP

Humor?

Post by JohnFP »

LOL.... :lol:
Kiffdino

Humor?

Post by Kiffdino »

sorry i dont get it
favalora

Humor?

Post by favalora »

While we're on the subject, xkcd is a web-comic written by a young former NASA engineer who jokes about engineering, math, patterns, and ... romance.

A favorite around my office:

-Gregg
Colin Kaminski

Humor?

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Kiffdino wrote:sorry i dont get it

Somewhere near the speed of light there is a doppler shifting of light that makes red objects appear blue. We can use this to measure the velocity of a fast moving star by finding a spectral feature that is particularly unique and looking to see if it appears in the correct location. If it is red shifted the star is moving away, if it is blue shifted the star is moving towards us. The remarkable thing is almost everything we check is moving away from us! Much of our modern cosmology comes from trying to explain this observation.
MichaelH

Humor?

Post by MichaelH »

Colin Kaminski wrote:The remarkable thing is almost everything we check is moving away from us! Much of our modern cosmology comes from trying to explain this observation.

Just goes to prove that the Earth *is* the center of the universe.
Colin Kaminski

Humor?

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Nice comics!

This one should be a warning to all holographers! Is there a reaction with PBQ or something that causes me to do this? :shock: