Micro sculptor cleans up

Have a great new article on a science related topic? Post it here!
Tom B.

Micro sculptor cleans up

Post by Tom B. »

Speaking of strange hobbies...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1770

Amazing.
Joe Farina

Micro sculptor cleans up

Post by Joe Farina »

If you didn't need a microscope to see those sculptures (i.e., they were larger), it would be more interesting and more applicable to holography.

This raises an important question, though: how large or small should be sculpture for holography be?

I feel that if sculpture is small, you move close, and if big, you move away. There are many, many benefits to going small. The person in the above post might not even need lasers to make holograms of those sculptures!
ErichRose

Micro sculptor cleans up

Post by ErichRose »

I think the issue with sculpting pieces for holography is not the size but the purpose. As amateurs we have all shot images of favorite objects be they carvings, toys, porcelain, etc. Sometimes models are made for commercial work and the thing is they always look like models. That quality of holograms to record exactly what was there makes it really hard to use models or sculpted pieces and have them appear as anything but that. I think many holographic artists have struggled with this either turning to work with pure light or eventually finding objects or art that works in some otherway. One of the few succesful artists who used small sculpted figures was Dan Schwietzer. Dan created wonderful little scenes using small figures that he made himself and then set into scenes where they were often backlit and viewed in silhouette. But the thing that made them work was that they were not about the figures themselves, the models were just actors in Dan's holographic plays. It really clicked for me one day when I was at the lab and he was playing with the "guy on the ladder." If any of you know that piece there is a figure standing on a stepladder washing a holographic "window" which when viewed from one side was a circle and from the other a square and each in a different color. Sometimes Dan placed the actual models in the art and sometimes he placed them in the hologram. Dan was a trained actor and in many ways his pieces were little plays with Dan as playright, director, set designer and lighting designer. He was a great teacher too. We miss you.
MichaelH

Micro sculptor cleans up

Post by MichaelH »

Joe wrote:This raises an important question, though: how large or small should be sculpture for holography be?

As large or small as necessary.