Volumetric 3-D in CSI:NY... maybe.

Have a great new article on a science related topic? Post it here!
favalora

Post by favalora »

(Self-promotion alert.)

If you're a CSI:NY fan, you might want to keep an eye out for tonight (Wednesday's) season 4 premiere. There might be a volumetric 3-D display in it from our company, Actuality Systems.

If it is, I suspect they'll put the 3-D imagery in it in post, as CGI, rather than using it as a 3-D display (ironic!).

10pm ET, CBS. (YouTube)

(end of self-promotion)

-g
JohnFP

Post by JohnFP »

Well, did it have the hologram in it? Unfortunately I only saw the post today. Next time you self promote, do it sooner..... :wink: :)

I happened to be browsing the TV a few weeks ago and I saw a show in which one of the characters was wearing a holographic pendant by August Muth. I can't remember which show, maybe Star Trec Voyager?
dave battin

Post by dave battin »

i saw it! very cool .... was the image on a rotating screen in the sphere? i would like to see it in real life. is there an actual application for this tectnology in the csi field? congratulations greg !
favalora

Post by favalora »

Hi there -

Thanks!

Yes, it did appear. It's (briefly) in the opening credits, and then was in one or two scenes as a visualization tool in the autopsy lab. At one part, they acutally showed it "spinning up" to speed. However, the display didn't generate the 3-D imagery; I guess that was a special effect. However, the imagery shown was exactly the way it would have looked if it was drawn by the display.

Sure, if you're in Boston, you're welcome to see one. It makes 10"-diameter imagery that you can see from any point of view, with no goggles.

-g