ID's

Have a great new article on a science related topic? Post it here!
bernardb

ID's

Post by bernardb »

Hi,

Just wondering - when I see at the bottom of a forum page how many users are logged in and I see names like: "Yahoo [Bot]"...what the heck kind of a user name is that? Is it some programmed artificial message monitor or something? I would just like to know what that means...

Thanx!

Bernard
jean

ID's

Post by jean »

Hi,

It's just a roBOT who scans the websites to update the databases of some search engines (like Yahoo, Google, MSN Search,...)
Colin Kaminski

ID's

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I allow 50 search engines to scan the pages with restrictions. So when they are sensed they get a restricted version of the page, ie ne signatures, to keep people from posting to boost their websites search placement.
DrOutlier

ID's

Post by DrOutlier »

8) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_crawler

Basically, the internet is really dumb. It is incapable of learning as it presently exists. Remember when you could type "failure" and George Bush and Al Gore would pop up? Even today on Yahoo! when you search "Ä. Lincoln" the first thing that pops up is the car and not the person.

In the future we'll have chips and polymorphic code that will allow the internet to learn and adapt.
bernardb

ID's

Post by bernardb »

Wow...thanks guys.

There is a LOT more to this holography business than I could have ever imagined!

Robots and Lincolns and Chips, oh my!