Chicago Holovisit

Have a great new article on a science related topic? Post it here!
BobH

Chicago Holovisit

Post by BobH »

Last week I was in the Chicago area visiting my parents (in Lockport at 87 & 82!), and had the opportunity to visit with some of the local holographers there. We met up at the Exchequer Restaurant & Pub in the Loop for some of that deep dish pizza I miss being in California. Ed Wesley (who put it together, thanks Ed), Rick Bruck, John Bannon, and Lori Lovetronic joined myself and my brother John for a long lunch full of pizza, beer and conversation.

Rick is a professional photographer and holographer using a pulsed ruby laser since the mid eighties. John has just recently left his position teaching holography at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, and Lori is an artist exploring interactive holography with sound and feedback. It was a real treat for me, catching up with a couple of old friends and making a couple of new ones. We talked about the recent book Holographic Visions, telling stories about some of the personalities we've encountered over the years, who aren't in the book. We talked about the politics of art holography in general, and at the Artstoot in particular (thanks to the Holopoet).

After lunch, Ed had another class to teach. When he finished, my brother and I gave him a ride home so I could check out his extensive collection of old books about holography and lasers. He has a great basement studio set up there, with his original "Big Beam" system floating on pool flotation donuts, and many individual rooms for all the little tasks we need to do in support of what happens on the "table". I'd only recommend some fans or an air conditioner, as I had a serious case of flop sweat as we hung out down there and talked. I really think I'm just no longer accustomed to the humidity.

I really enjoyed the day, and miss the occasional gatherings of creative holographers that would show up at technical conferences on the topic. The "orange box crowd". Those who would show up carrying an orange Agfa box with fresh holograms inside to share. Perhaps I'll put something together in the fall for those on the West coast. Those gatherings really help keep the interest alive. Thanks again Ed! :D