(Smacks self in forehead): the US election

Have a great new article on a science related topic? Post it here!
Danny Bee

Post by Danny Bee »

Politics aside, we are very blessed to live in USA, and to have the opportunity to work or play in the field of holography. And the gift of sight to experience the 3d effect. I have a friend that I work close with, we both work with youth. One time I had the opportunity to show the youth some of the holograms I was working on. My friend has only one working eye, and can’t experience 3d. He sees it as a flat object.
As I get older and look around there are so many things to be thankful for. Some here have the gift of creativity, some here have the gift of knowledge, and some have the gift of teaching. Some time Politics can be a distraction, with all the spin out there. There will always be Politics in some form, and every one should vote

As being part of this forum, that came out of the heart of Colins to further the knowledge of holography and the participation in making of holograms we to have a responsibility in our community here of fellow holographers.
With the same passion that some time get consumed up in politics and the spin we could help change the world with Colins in the field of holography.

Don’t get me wrong I too get stirred some times in Politics too. But have seen how this can be a distraction from our Goal here. With this is site being for the furthering of holography and not Political views. This is just my view point on the subject, and is not directed to you :wink:
favalora

Post by favalora »

Well, I don't know, this is in the "off-topic" section, right? I guess if the moderators think I'm too off-base they can delete the whole thread with my apologies. It is important to realize, though, that with one of our candidates statistically likely to not survive presidency due to age, we need to pick our VP wisely. Especially if that VP will preside over matters of, say, science funding or education, both topics being quite central to our mission here.

Regardless of one's political views - and I am far from being politically-aware - an article like this from the Rolling Stone gets one's blood pumping one way or the other... For instance:
(On seeing Palin at the RNC:) I stared at her open-mouthed. In that moment, the rank cynicism of the whole sorry deal was laid bare. Here's the thing about Americans. You can send their kids off by the thousands to get their balls blown off in foreign lands for no reason at all, saddle them with billions in debt year after congressional year while they spend their winters cheerfully watching game shows and football, pull the rug out from under their mortgages, and leave them living off their credit cards and their Wal-Mart salaries while you move their jobs to China and Bangalore.

And none of it matters, so long as you remember a few months before Election Day to offer them a two-bit caricature culled from some cutting-room-floor episode of Roseanne as part of your presidential ticket. And if she's a good enough likeness of a loudmouthed Middle American archetype, as Sarah Palin is, John Q. Public will drop his giant-size bag of Doritos in gratitude, wipe the Sizzlin' Picante dust from his lips and rush to the booth to vote for her. Not because it makes sense, or because it has a chance of improving his life or anyone else's, but simply because it appeals to the low-humming narcissism that substitutes for his personality, because the image on TV reminds him of the mean, brainless slob he sees in the mirror every morning.
g
Danny Bee

Post by Danny Bee »

favalora wrote:Well, I don't know, this is in the "off-topic" section, right? I guess if the moderators think I'm too off-base they can delete the whole thread with my apologies. It is important to realize, though, that with one of our candidates statistically likely to not survive presidency due to age, we need to pick our VP wisely. Especially if that VP will preside over matters of, say, science funding or education, both topics being quite central to our mission here.

Regardless of one's political views - and I am far from being politically-aware - an article like this from the Rolling Stone gets one's blood pumping one way or the other... For instance:
(On seeing Palin at the RNC:) I stared at her open-mouthed. In that moment, the rank cynicism of the whole sorry deal was laid bare. Here's the thing about Americans. You can send their kids off by the thousands to get their balls blown off in foreign lands for no reason at all, saddle them with billions in debt year after congressional year while they spend their winters cheerfully watching game shows and football, pull the rug out from under their mortgages, and leave them living off their credit cards and their Wal-Mart salaries while you move their jobs to China and Bangalore.

And none of it matters, so long as you remember a few months before Election Day to offer them a two-bit caricature culled from some cutting-room-floor episode of Roseanne as part of your presidential ticket. And if she's a good enough likeness of a loudmouthed Middle American archetype, as Sarah Palin is, John Q. Public will drop his giant-size bag of Doritos in gratitude, wipe the Sizzlin' Picante dust from his lips and rush to the booth to vote for her. Not because it makes sense, or because it has a chance of improving his life or anyone else's, but simply because it appeals to the low-humming narcissism that substitutes for his personality, because the image on TV reminds him of the mean, brainless slob he sees in the mirror every morning.
g
yep blood pumping! now will have to spend time cooling down in prayer "Lord help me to love my fellow man" good post favalora.....changing the world one hologram at a time :(
Danny Bee

Post by Danny Bee »

favalora wrote: Especially if that VP will preside over matters of, say, science funding or education, both topics being quite central to our mission here.
g
most of this is spin, and it will not matter which one get the vp. Science funding and education will continue as normal ... most politics use fear to gain power and control! and most of it is smoke and mirrors
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I do try to eschew the talking of politics. I find we are a very diverse group of people with a variety of backgrounds. We have the idea of learning and promoting holography to bind us. Even as strong as our passions for holography are I have found political discussions tend to divide us and take away from our focus as a team working together.

I am quite concerned about the state of US politics since 911. However I don't think we can improve the state of understanding through this forum. I do get Science Magazine and I am quite impressed with their editorial coverage politics and science.

http://www.sciencemag.org/
favalora

Post by favalora »

Oops, okay, sorry about that.

Likewise, I enjoy New Scientist and The Week.

Back to optics...

-g
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

Danny Bee

Post by Danny Bee »

Ed Wesly wrote:America's Finest News Source puts things in perspective:

http://www.theonion.com/content/point/p ... _palin_has

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/bo ... houts_from
I think this is more spin in my opinon, that why i dont think this is not good for a holographic forum where the fouces should be holography, because global warming is more about politics than reality. where fear is used for power and control and restriction. even if i said that i think its more about the sun than man made, you would probly say that is spin. but only time will tell how much is spin and how much is reality. thats why this is not good for a holography forum its politics "political control"
http://www.globalwarminghoax.com/news.php are you seeing what im geting at Ed? there are many veiw points on both sides and lot are political driven because of funds there is alot of money being made global warming reserch

colins i really think this post needs to be removed im my opinon
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

Are you sure that global warming is the thing you are objecting to, Danny? Actually I am on the fence on the subject myself, as like Michael Crichton has pointed out in his book, State of Fear, both sides of the coin lie through their teeth to promote their agenda. But there is no doubt that we must take better care of our dear Mother Earth by using our resources better, and before we start driling, how about everyone driving more fuel efficient cars.

Maybe the real point that you are objecting to is how the Onion points out Palin's hypocrisy; her abstinence instead of safe sex education for the schools of Alaska, yet it obviously didn't begin at home, as her daughter is having a child out of wedlock. Isn't that a mortal sin, pre- or extra-marital sex? Shouldn't that disqualify her in the eyes of the evangelicals? (And was her daughter only 16 years old when she got pregnant?) And even Sarah herself had a child only 8 months after getting married! No abstinence involved there, either! I guess that they aren't committing the sin of abortion, so that makes their lack of discipline and will power in caving in to the pleasres of the flesh OK.

I wouldn't mind seeing these posts eliminated, as this is after all a holography forum. But I guess what got Gregg going is that we are living in very wierd times, and it seems to me that one party, the Democrats, are unacceptable to me, while the Republicans are totally unacceptable.

And the final blow, don't forget, opinions are like a**holes; everyone has them!