Stereoblindness

Have a great new article on a science related topic? Post it here!
Dutchelm05

Stereoblindness

Post by Dutchelm05 »

What do people with stereo blindness (inability to see in 3D using stereo vision) see when they look at a hologram?
I heard something on NPR this morning.
Tony
Ed Wesly

Stereoblindness

Post by Ed Wesly »

My best friend when I taught at a Catholic Grade School was Mr. Jacobson, the music teacher, who was born almost blind in one eye. Viewmasters etc., didn't do anything for him but when he looked at single beam reflection holograms he said it looked just like an object was there according to how he would perceive the real thing.

Accommodation, the way that the eye focuses, was probably his main depth cue, and since the hologram is an optical double of the object he was perceiving depth from the holo the same way as he would be getting it out of reality.

Paul made up for his lack of visual acuity by being one of those people who had great relative pitch and could pick up just about any musical instrument and start playing it quite well! Unfortunately I haven't seen him for years. He made me almost pee in my pants from stifling a laugh while he played an acoustic guitar instrumental version of Cream's "I'm So Glad" during a Communion musical interlude during a Mass! Only he, myself, and two other young hip teachers knew what he was up to, but I guess someone couldn't keep a straight enough face and so from then on the nuns dictated what the songs would have to be during the services.
JohnFP

Stereoblindness

Post by JohnFP »

Ed, I don't get it about the song, whizzzzz right over my head, can you splain?

About stereo blindness I have a couple comments. One is if the person was born that way, then they may have a more difficult time seeing depth. But as Ed mentioned, not only does the eye use accommodation but take a viewmaster. It is stuck in a single 3d perspective whereas with a hologram you only need to shift to the side an inch or so and realise the object has depth.
Jacques

Stereoblindness

Post by Jacques »

I had the opportunity to show holograms, both analog and computer generated, and stereo images with a viewer and polarized projections in the past. There are many different eyes problems that can affect stereo vision. I heard that approximately 15% of the population can't see artificial stereo. Obviously blindness of one eye is the worst, but it doesn't have to be that bad to have trouble perceiving artificial stereo. Having a difference in acuity will make one image more visible than the other and that may cancel fusion of the stereo couple. Having one eye higher than the other will make fusion very difficult.

So I was very happy when I showed them holograms and they became exited to perceive depth as in reality. Apparently, they compensate their eyes defect with movement of the head, accomodation and other depth cues. In holography, by giving continuous parallax or enough points of view to simulate continuous parallax, the perception of depth seems to be very close to the perception of natural depth. Two points of view in stereo images, or a few more in autostereoscopy, is simply not enough visual information for them to compensate.

In a way this show that stereoscopy is an important factor in artificial depth perception, but eye movement, motion parallax, may be even more important.
Ed Wesly

Stereoblindness

Post by Ed Wesly »

I would guess everyone is familiar to some degree with the SuperGroup Cream thanks to Classic Rock Radio Stations, but all they ever play is Sunshine of Your Love and maybe Tales of Brave Ulysses. But their very first album, Fresh Cream, to me, is their best. And on it is this song, I'm So Glad, (which is pretty much the complete lyrics) which is an extremely hard rocker. (Check out the version on Live Cream Vol. I for an even more insane dose.)

So the genius of Jacobson was that he played it real slow, like some sort of hymn a la John Fahey, (another musician who it would be worthwhile to investigate via iTunes or Amazon) while all the little fisheaters were parading around the communion rail. Only a select few of us knew what the song was, the nuns at first thought it was a real nice improvisation that he was making up, but then they figured out it was some sort of devilish rock and roll.
JohnFP

Stereoblindness

Post by JohnFP »

Ooohhh, that's too funny! LOL! :lol:

I'm actually very familliar with the song but coldn't see where the lyrics could be upsetting. But now I get it.
Colin Kaminski

Stereoblindness

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Ed Wesly wrote:I would guess everyone is familiar to some degree with the SuperGroup Cream thanks to Classic Rock Radio Stations, but all they ever play is Sunshine of Your Love and maybe Tales of Brave Ulysses. But their very first album, Fresh Cream, to me, is their best. And on it is this song, I'm So Glad, (which is pretty much the complete lyrics) which is an extremely hard rocker. (Check out the version on Live Cream Vol. I for an even more insane dose.)

So the genius of Jacobson was that he played it real slow, like some sort of hymn a la John Fahey, (another musician who it would be worthwhile to investigate via iTunes or Amazon) while all the little fisheaters were parading around the communion rail. Only a select few of us knew what the song was, the nuns at first thought it was a real nice improvisation that he was making up, but then they figured out it was some sort of devilish rock and roll.
Not to continue to drag this thread off topic... But... I had a friend who was an accomplished drummer. When we were 15 he was in the youth church group. The idea was to play some inspirational songs that kids could identify to. He was really nice but not the cleanest lens in the laser beam and very ADHD. During one performance he was getting a little too motivated. As he got louder and louder the group leader started getting more and more uncomfortable. The rest of the group is noticing this and realizing what is going on. Finally the whole band stops mid song and looks to the drummer. Kyle, bless his heart, decided they were all very excited by his drumming and were giving him room for a solo. So he takes a solo. Talk about want to pee your pants...
geso

Stereoblindness

Post by geso »

"Not to continue to drag this thread off topic... But... I had a friend who was an accomplished drummer. When we were 15 he was in the youth church group. The idea was to play some inspirational songs that kids could identify to. He was really nice but not the cleanest lens in the laser beam and very ADHD. During one performance he was getting a little too motivated. As he got louder and louder the group leader started getting more and more uncomfortable. The rest of the group is noticing this and realizing what is going on. Finally the whole band stops mid song and looks to the drummer. Kyle, bless his heart, decided they were all very excited by his drumming and were giving him room for a solo. So he takes a solo. Talk about want to pee your pants..."

Hilarious!
Steaphany

Stereoblindness

Post by Steaphany »

I have stereoblindness and need other depth cues to gain sense of relative distances. In my case, both eyes work, but they don't focus identically.

When looking through a viewmaster, the 3D effect is evident and very surreal.

To get a sense of how I see, try holding a SLR camera to your eye as you look around a room or scene. Traditional 2D photographs are very close to my vision, only lacking the real world variations in parallax.

With holography, it's only through changing my orientation or position relative to the hologram that I can sense the 3D aspects. I can not see the 3D, but only gain an appreciation of the image content as it changes over time as I move.
BobH

Stereoblindness

Post by BobH »

Ed Wesly wrote: He made me almost pee in my pants from stifling a laugh while he played an acoustic guitar instrumental version of Cream's "I'm So Glad" during a Communion musical interlude during a Mass! Only he, myself, and two other young hip teachers knew what he was up to, but I guess someone couldn't keep a straight enough face and so from then on the nuns dictated what the songs would have to be during the services.

Despite my status as a recovering Catholic, I'd have to say "I'm So Glad" is a totally appropriate hymn for a Mass. In the middle, I'd have to agree with a classy acoustic version. But for the walk out afterward I'd go for the original. It doesn't get ANY better than THAT!!!!!!!!! :pray: :pray: :pray: :dance: :dance: :dance: :clap: :clap: :clap: