Fun with optic fibers

Have a great new article on a science related topic? Post it here!
glajciorz

Fun with optic fibers

Post by glajciorz »

I've taken an optic fiber, some HF, and vibration-isolated table.
This is what came from putting it all together.
Notice the scale and magnification (um/nm applies to whole scale, not to single segments).
Enjoy :D

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

greetings
Adam
JohnFP

Fun with optic fibers

Post by JohnFP »

About a 1 micron tip. Pretty nice. We used to make points like that. The technique was derived from the Electron microscope needle process. Basically, use a platinum disk with a hole in it and a tungsten wire in a "salt" solution with DC voltage applied. You move the wire in and out of the disk with a hole in it in the solution with the voltage applied.
glajciorz

Fun with optic fibers

Post by glajciorz »

About a 1 micron tip.
Nope. About 60 nm tip :)
The technique was derived from the Electron microscope needle process. Basically, use a platinum disk with a hole in it and a tungsten wire in a "salt" solution with DC voltage applied. You move the wire in and out of the disk with a hole in it in the solution with the voltage applied.
I've heard about this process - when the wire breaks the electric circuit is also broken and etching stops, right ?
Is there an electroless version ?
What was the diameter of your tip?

greetings
Adam
JohnFP

Fun with optic fibers

Post by JohnFP »

I've heard about this process - when the wire breaks the electric circuit is also broken and etching stops, right ?
No, We made a automated "drill press" and had the timing down. Then we would inspect and categorize them to size.
Is there an electroless version ?
Manually grinding but could never come close to electro-etching.

What was the diameter of your tip?
Well, we never had a electron microscope to measure it but we were very near 1um.