ESPN 3D

Have a great new article on a science related topic? Post it here!
JohnFP

ESPN 3D

Post by JohnFP »

WOW, can't wait. Going to make sure I have a half dozen sets of glasses, although I cannot find which glasses they are using but the photo in this link indicates they are the cross polarizing type. I guess thats why the box and "3-D ready TV" are needed.

To watch the content, viewers must have a 3D-ready TV set, and might need a new set-top box. And yes, viewers also must wear 3D glasses.

http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/01/espn-lau ... twork.html
JohnFP

ESPN 3D

Post by JohnFP »

Ok, from what I have researched I believe you need a 3-D ready TV. There are quite a few models out there so if you're buying a new TV make sure it is 3D ready. Then you may need a new cable or salelite box. Not sure if the provider will provide these or you have to pay extra. Then you need the glasses, and yes I believe they are the polarized ones. Much easier on the eyes and head. Finally, not sure if it will be a premium channel or pay.

What gets me is they are trying to launch this with a bunch of start up costs to the consumer. They should do NFL for the launch and you would see a lot more interest. Not sure many here care about world cup soccer (I know it sucks, I love soccer and will follow the world cup avidly), college games and x games. Not saying there are not a lot that do follow that but it's the football (american football) junkies that want the big TV, the HD, the 3D, the best there is to get.
JohnFP

ESPN 3D

Post by JohnFP »

Ok, I'm reading Popular Science and they had a piece about the 3-d TV. Seems they work on flashing each of the two eyes, scenes one following another and an infrared beam the drives the glasses (two LCD screens) you are wearing to shutter each eye, alternating, in sync with the flickers on the screen. That's why you need a TV specifially for 3-d.

Just a head up.