There's something about holography.

These are all of the old posts from the first two years of the forum. They are locked.
Updated: 2005-03-28 by HoloM (the god)
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

What drives otherwise normal people to pursue holography? What is so compelling? Whether producing holograms, collecting them, or simply trying to understand how a hologram can exist, the challenges are great. And yet we still do it.

If you try your hand at making one you'll know what I mean. At the beginning, when you look for that very first small sign of success and actually see something there, it's an incredible feeling! I almost did a cartwheel over my sand table after finding that first faint red image of a little swan.

And that's usually just the beginning of a long road. Improvements come incrementally and very slowly it seems. You need the patience of a saint at times, and an uncommon desire to overcome problems that are often more tedious than interesting. So much so that I sometimes ask myself - why do it? The answer always seems a little vague, but every time I see improvements the question recedes for awhile.

Does anybody have any ideas from experience about why, or how, holography can draw you in the way it does, and not let go?
Jean Dufrasne

Post by Jean Dufrasne »

I think you answer yourself to the question :
"...but every time I see improvements the question recedes for awhile..."
Why people try to climb high mountains ?
Why people try to resolve unsoluble problem (like theorem by Ferma or else) ?
Why people try to break atoms to discover their secrets ?
Why people try to find the holy graal ?

For me, holography is a way to deeper my knowledges about physic, chemistry and mechanic, learn to think better, try to find other way to solve a problem,...
Of course, that cost a lot of time, a lot of money, a lot of familly time, but the success is there
In fact, there are a lot of reasons, at least one unique reason for each holographer

You say you can't keep quiet when you success an hologram but are you already see the eyes of your friend when they look your hologram. Nobody can stay indifferent when looking an hologram. Are you not proud of your creations ?

I'm sure that other holographer can give you other reasons, as good as mine. As I said, everyone has his own story

Friendly.

Jean
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Good answer!